Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Racor r15p filter/water separator primer

homestead463 · 2023-05-28 12:00

I have a ferris is4500z zero turn diesel mower. I was wanting to replace the fuel filter and finding that new filter elements are 75 bucks. This filter deal is a housing, a water separator and has a primer pump built into the top. Thing is the mower has another fuel filter near the motor so I'm not even sure the r15p filter is actually a filter and why is it so expensive? I thought about just replacing the whole thing with another filter separator but I can't find one with a built in primer pump. Any advice? Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1Coaldust2023-05-28 15:11

    Because they can. We ask ourselves why manufacturers do stupid stuff on a daily basis. OEM’s purchase whatever based on price and availability. Some catalog engineer specs it and that’s that. Run into weird proprietary fuel filter assemblies all the time. Just swap it out for something conventional & common.

  2. #2Coaldust2023-05-28 15:23

    Welcome to the HEF new person. Head on over to the new member introduction thread and tell us about your mowing adventures. Probably two maybe three weeks before I need to think about mowing. It’s cold up here. Winter is a long time going. Stays long, this high. March is a green, muddy month down below. Some folks like it. Farmers, mostly.

  3. #3homestead4632023-05-28 15:55

    This filter assembly is a 30 micron, 3/8 in and out both barbs on 1 side. Could you recommend a standard filter assembly with a primer pump built in? I don't care for proprietary stuff either.

  4. #4homestead4632023-05-28 15:59

    Sure thing. Its 76 here today, hello my Canadian friend.

  5. #5cuttin edge2023-05-28 16:22

    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/26584839252...WweEQ0EforLvazU4K8nDJTzxrRy28NV0aAl8DEALw_wcB . You could buy a stand alone primer. to go with the filter housing

  6. #6Delmer2023-05-28 16:41

    Is $75 from the Ferris dealer? looks like $30 on ebay. I wouldn't change the housing for $30, I'd probably change this filter as needed and the secondary filter near the engine on an hours/years schedule.

  7. #7RocketScott2023-05-28 20:18

    Wix has an alternative. Baldwin too https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/wix,WF10097,fuel+filter,6200 https://www.fleetpride.com/parts/baldwin-fuel-water-separator-bf46162o

  8. #8Coaldust2023-05-28 22:35

    Yeah, duh. There’s nothing weird about that filter arrangement. Just locate a better filter vender.

  9. #9homestead4632023-05-29 01:57

    I'll grab one from Rockauto, thanks! That wix from amazon is 75, napa makes a alternative that 85. I didn't want to risk ebay.

  10. #10Carolina Iron Clad2023-05-31 21:09

    One other thing of note, Racors can "lose prime" or not pump when and if you bend or get debris in the trap door flapper valve on the under side of the housing. I can't tell you how many times I was called out to a job site for a machine that was run out of fuel and wouldn't reprime, it was sometimes this flapper. The oring can also get torn of course, but generally if you suspect the flapper being an issue, you can unbolt the single screw that holds it in place and bend the "spring" material to preload the flapper against the housing. (I loved Racors when I worked as a field tech, replaced 100s, but they serve their purpose well.)