Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Radial tire prices

Allterra ยท 2014-05-15 23:38

Hello all, it has been awhile since I have had time to spend any time here. Anyway blew a tire the other day (20 year old bias tires)....tire salesman talked me into radials, Michelin snow plus 14 x 24 .... wait for it... $8010 for 4. So my question is; did I get screwed? or just felt up?

Replies7
  1. #1Cat 140M AWD2014-05-17 07:04

    That sounds about right for a set of 4 last ones I had put on were 1600 bucks a tire you will love the radials there an awsome tire for traction in dirt snow only place there not good at is in wet conditions can't do anything in mud with them.

  2. #2Allterra2014-05-17 11:26

    I sure hope they work good....and last. I am not to worried about the mud . . . cant finish grade mud

  3. #3Cat 140M AWD2014-05-17 16:20

    They should last ya a long time the Twp I work for just put new ones on and the old ones were on 4 different machines no clue how many hrs there were on them but they last pretty good I'd recemenod running about 35 to 45 psi in your tires once ya get them on.

  4. #4Nige2014-05-19 10:23

    We use either Bridgestone or Michelin radials on our graders. We get around 6-7,000 hours on the rear tandems at which point we pull them off and run them out on the front where get probably another 3,000 hours of use. Our graders are only rear-wheel not all-wheel drive. We pay about $5-6,000 each for 23.5R25 either Michelin XMine D2 or Bridgestone VSDT. Both are TRA L-5 rated and really wheel loader tyres, but we need them for the traction, cut resistance, and wear resistance. I wouldn't use anything else but radials on graders. Bias-ply is Stone Age. Disadvantage is that, as you have found, radials ain't cheap ................

  5. #5Silveroddo2014-05-19 19:43

    I was thinking 6-7k hrs is alot of hrs on a set of tires, but at 4x the cost of bias, I suppose they should last 4x as long, lol. Havent seen you on here in awhile Alterra, hows the 670b treating you?

  6. #6Allterra2021-10-12 12:55

    Under the better late than never philosophy, sorry I didn't revisit the thread or get an email update don't know why... Years ago anyway the Grader is still running. I've got a good size job for it coming up. Looking at buying a loader now and thinking about putting those snow plus tires on it. They've done great on the grader. A little faster wear than normal. But enough traction that now I stall the machine instead of spinning out.

  7. #7Jonas3022021-10-12 19:35

    If you have winter work for the loader you wouldn't regret it we have a set of bridgestone snows on a 950g they work amazing loading gravel in the summer and plowing snow in the winter As too your original question that price was a little high even in todays pricing it might pay to call around on the loader tires its a pretty big investment