Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Radiator Cap Catalog?

Birken Vogt · 2017-06-14 22:06

I work on equipment of various types and ages. One thing that is common is radiator caps getting rotten. All the catalogs want you to look it up by year, make, model, number of miles and paint color. Well none of my generators are listed. We use small Japanese caps, regular automotive like an old pickup, and large ones like heavy trucks used to commonly have and many still do. But I need some way to look them up by pressure, sometimes dimensions, and features such as sealing ring for overflow tank. Does any manufacturer publish such a catalog any more?

Replies10
  1. #1crane operator2017-06-14 22:57

    https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/Se...=Y&sort=13&search=radiator+cap&show=30&page=2 I just searched "radiator cap". On their site. Some have dimensions, some don't. Most give a psi #

  2. #2Brodiesel2017-06-14 23:36

    I have struggled with that myself. I remember seeing a catalogue that a radiator shop had. It was his go to reference for rad. cap and core sizes. I bet theres something like that equivalent online, in pdf form.

  3. #3Brodiesel2017-06-14 23:40

    http://www.tridon.com.au/databank/documents/LR-092-99-intro-Radiator-Caps.pdf Thats a decent reference, seems automotive specific but theres not much difference in heavy equipment and automotive caps anyways, new CAT machines I noticed have plastic auto style screw on caps.

  4. #4kshansen2017-06-15 14:45

    I had a catalog where I works from NAPA. It included radiator and oil filler caps and maybe gas caps. As I recall there were some sketches/drawings of caps and dimensions. If you have a good NAPA parts person like I had they should be able to get you a copy. If they go all glassy eyed when you ask about it I'd go to NAPAONLINE.COM down near the bottom of the page in the " CUSTOMER SERVICE" section there is a "Contact Us" try going that routed and see if they will/can help.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2017-06-15 15:06

    My go-to parts place is a large NAPA and their current catalog shows lots of dimensions and such but the parts are arranged in a seemingly random order. All mixed in with the obscure threaded plastic junk and such. And when you do find one that looks right it is not in stock, you have to guess again. I think one old guy has an old yellowed book that is in a more logical arrangement but he will never part with it.

  6. #6kshansen2017-06-15 20:13

    Well just for fun I just sent a question to the napaonline site to see what they say!

  7. #7kshansen2017-06-16 16:10

    Well they came back with a link to a page full of Catalogs: https://www.napaecatalog.com/erack.php# Over to the left side and about five boxes down there is one that links to two different Cap Catalogs One is for 1996 and up and the other for 1995 and earlier. Took some searching in both to find the pages with the pictures and dimensions of the caps. For the 1996 and up catalog you can jump to page 314 and on the "Vintage" one go to page 493 Just enter those page numbers up at the top in the box that says "Cover" and it should save some searching. Hope this helps someone

  8. #8andymfell2017-06-16 18:25

    http://www.stant.com/files/3614/5557/2234/2014_Stant_LD_Catalog.pdf illustrations on pages 255 - 259 Gates also produce caps

  9. #9Birken Vogt2017-06-16 23:04

    Thanks for finding that. Unfortunately I can't seem to see the NAPA site at all, their web site is just too high tech for my old computer. I tried to download as a pdf but it just sits there mocking me. Would someone with a better computer be able to DL the PDF of the pre-95 and post it somewhere?

  10. #10Birken Vogt2017-06-16 23:55

    Never mind, I was able to pry it out of the computer with difficulty https://www.napaecatalog.com/data/gcv12flx/011/html/export_unsecure.pdf