Anyone know the best way to convert 24vdc to 12vdc? I want to replace the old 24v radio with a 12v new one which are much easier to get. Any suggestions on converters? Machine is a Cat 307 SSR 24vdc system Thanks, Gary
I don't know what they cost, I have never bought one myself but you can get converters for that. Most iron I have operated that had cb's had them. I tap into them to plug in my satilite radio. Check out some electronics stores and you will probably find one.
We had to get a converter to put the 2 way radio in our loader,I dont remember what it cost but it was really easy to put in.
Napa has two different models available. I've used both, the little one is only 2 amps or something and not built as well as the larger one. You may have to arm wrestle the counter guy to convince him it exists and to make him look it up. Cat has one that is very well built but rather spendy. Electronic stores around here are completely clueless.
If you have 12 volt batteries connected in series you can just pick up 12 volts from the first battery or bank, run a fuse and you have an "unregulated" supply. Check with a meter to make sure. The CD player we got awhile back was capable of running off anywhere between 9 and 16 volts.
Thanks for the suggestions I've checked with NAPA but have'nt had any luck. I just went onto Ebay and found a couple of 24vdc to 12vdc converters so I guess I'll pick one up. I thought about the hook up to the 1st battery but, I would rather have the radio power to be switched at the key so things won't br left on by accident.
Radio Shack has them at a fair price, others do too as you have found. The Radio Shack model, which is likely similiar to the 2 amp NAPA version, is not what one would call a long term investment. In other words, they usually do not last too long. The Cat convertor is top notch. I've never had a problem with them. They are for the serious user however, very expensive tho not so bad as when they originally became available back in the late seventies. There is a good reason why not to hook to one battery only, doing so puts a constant load on that one battery. The alternator, being stupid, thinks both batteries are needing a charge, and proceeds to do just that. This tends to cook your batteries and shorten their life. There is a Cat Service Bulletin about that from years ago available. Ask your Cat PSR guy to look it up for you. AC Delco had a brochure about it as well.
The local county highway department went through 8 or 9 batteries on a motor grader after they wired the FM communications radio to one battery. Amp draw was pretty heavy and the other battery would cook to death from over charging.
I've experienced the same thing on a 14G wired that way. And if you shut off the night switch with the radios still plugged in, they would fry.
Yeah, I did'nt want to hook up to only one battery, like surfer-joe said there would be a unbalanced load from the two batteries and the charging system will keep charging them at 24v - 28v which will overcharge the battery that is not carrying the radio load . NAPA wanted $205 for a 10amp converter. I found a couple of 10 to 15 amp ones on Ebay for $40 to $60. I going to order one and try it out. Hopefully all will go well.
look at you machine closely our 953 had the origenal radio robbed so i went through what you are now only to find that it had the cat converter already in it
Our old 966C has a radio just hooked to one of the 12 volt batteries, works okay, tried with the volvo dump truck = bzzzzzzzt for the radio. A radio Shack equivilant shop here supplied a 24 -12 convertor and its been happily filling my cab with crap music ever since. My .02 would be: get a convertor.. Or Invertor, whatever its called.
my volvo has a converter for the am/fm radio that just went bad.....the radio being 12v and machine 24v it was if i remember right cost $286 from volvo, but the 2 way radio man put one in for just the 2 way don't know what it cost but there must be a difference in them but i don't know what it is because he couldn't use the one on the machine....