I bought a 2005 Komatsu D61PX 15 LGP dozer this summer. I really like the machine, but one thing is driving me crazy The radio forgets the station you are on as soon as you turn the key off. It comes on at 98.1 on the FM side. You will hit the "UP" button and get back on the station you want only lose it the next time you shut engine off. Has anyone had this problem?
They are a sweet machine. It’s just a feature of the creature. Look at the wiring diagram and you will see how the Komatsu battery relay switch disconnects auxiliary power when the key switch is off.
Yep happens to all our Cat machines when we hit the disconnect.
I have several Cat machines with radios that hold 6 stations in memory, power or no power.
Is the Radio memory fuse blown?
I have to wonder if it's a Komatsu radio?
There are several ways to retain memory functions in electronic systems. The cheapest is a constant power supply dedicated to keeping the clock and memory current. The second is a capacitive storage array which will deplete over time. The third and most expensive is non volatile ram memory. This third operation is cost prohibitive in most consumer electronics arenas. The constant power source is the most common, and economical by far. The radio, (in this instance) defaulting to a given frequency is the product of an EEPROM chip, (Electrically Erasable Programable Read Only Memory) microchip that is programmed to tune to the given frequency with the application of power. These are the same type chips which tell your electronic controlled engine how to operate when cold before it actually starts sampling external inputs from the various sensors which is of course closed, and open loop operation.
Auto radios have a "memory" lead that requires constant 12 volt power. Perhaps your dozer radio either has lost its memory lead or memory fuse is blown.
It's an Esperia, which I believe is original because the speakers are the same.
I looked in my operator's manual yesterday and saw this too. The fuses in the block inside are all good. I'm going to check the others tpmorrow.
Dozers can sit for months at a time and be expected to start without problem , they don't need a radio draining power . By the time the dozer is warmed up there should be enough time to reset a channel .
Found blown fuse in one of the other fuse panels. Problem solved. Has 6 pre set stations, even after turning key off. Thanks for all the input.