Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

rail rehab

rebarman ยท 2009-04-08 14:16

is it possible to rehab worn rails by building up by welding, and then grinding to spec

Replies6
  1. #1td25c2009-04-08 21:06

    I have welded up sprockets before.Welding rails will work but you are looking at alot of time and effort.What are you working on?If it's "common" you might fined a good set of used rails on a dead tractor somewhere.

  2. #2rebarman2009-04-08 22:25

    its a 1984 fiat allis fl-5 35 shoes $2800 aside for new rails

  3. #3td25c2009-04-08 22:49

    That sounds expensive for an fd 5.How are the pins & bushings?Are the sprockets getting sharp?

  4. #4willie592009-04-08 23:13

    That does sound expensive. Have you got a quote from HeavyQuip for new track chains? Or you could try S Cohn & Sons. I know there would be a shipping expense across the border, but I'd give them a call.

  5. #5rebarman2009-04-11 14:24

    thanks for your advice i will get quotes from these places

  6. #6rebarman2009-04-11 14:32

    in response to 25c the sprockets have been replaced and are good, rollers and carriers good, pins and bushings very worn