Please excuse what is likely a stupid question from someone that should likely know better. Despite owning a 2006 Case 580 Super M Series 2 for 6 years I’m still a complete idiot when it comes to mechanical fixes. So with that admission out of the way…… I had the 580 parked nose down on a steep hill. The low fuel light wasn’t on until I was on the hill. I managed to start the machine and back up onto the level where it then died. I suspect a bit of air got in the fuel line so it now doesn’t start. (It could be something else but I thought I’d start with trying to bleed the system). I managed to tow it so it’s not blocking the driveway at the moment. Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to bleed the fuel line? I put in 10 gallons of diesel. I know where the fuel water separator is. I can see the small pump behind and below it. I’m guessing this is the primer pump. I have pumped it but it didn’t do anything. I can follow the fuel lines to the injectors. Do I loosen the fuel lines at the injectors and prime from there. Apologies for such a basic question but any help would be appreciated.
Hi BGW. There’s no stupid questions. Bump the engine over a half turn as the pump may be on the high part of the cam lobe. Is there a 10mm screw high on the fuel filter housing ? That should be the bleed screw.
Thanks. I’m still feeling pretty ignorant all the same. Is the fuel water separator and the fuel filter the same thing? There is a screw on top of the separator and a plastic threaded cap on the bottom.
I’m not certain of your specific application. Could you post a picture ? You may need three posts to do so.
Thanks DB2
Open the bleeder valve and pump until all the air is out. Close the bleeder and pump till pressure then give starting a try.
Bleed screw should be the hex with the slot in the top. Follow Billrog’s advice.
Thanks guys. I loosened the hex screw, pumped for a couple minutes and nothing came out. I also tried forming a seal and blowing into the fuel tank (As seen in a couple YOUTUBE videos). No luck.
Did you bump the engine over before you tried pumping it again ? If that lift pump is on the high point on the cam it won’t work.
I did try to start it and pumped again after. No luck. I’ll try again in the morning. It’s dark and cold and us west coast types are wimps. This one is anyway.
It's possible that the transfer/priming pump got a bit of dirt in the valves, it normally won't pump air that well, and with leaky valves it will be terrible at pumping air. A piece of rubber and air valve from a junk inner tube, even a bike tube, will work great to seal the fuel filler and add a couple PSI of air pressure, use a hose clamp to secure it to the filler. Or, if there's a vent hose coming off the top of the tank, then the cap usually won't have a vent, and you can blow into the tank by mouth. You should get air, then fuel from the top of the filter, remove the hex screw completely if it will come out until you get some fuel. Once you get fuel and no more air, close it, keep priming a minute, crank it once or twice for five or so seconds. Then if you get no smoke out the exhaust, bleed the injector lines at the injector, or at least one of them.
Thanks Delmer. I’ll try that in the morning.
Mean while have your battery on a charger.
Update: I couldn’t find an inner tube I swore I had so used an air compressor with a duster, ice cream lid and a rubber tool chest drawer liner for a seal. I forced air into the fuel tank and it forced fuel out of the bleed screw hole. Closed the screw but no go and the battery was run down. Spent the whole day charging the batteries and tried it this evening. It was turning over well but wouldn’t fire up. I’ll leave it on the charger over night and will try to bleed the lines at the injectors tomorrow. I’m wondering if it may be a fuel pump issue.
Loosen all the injector lines AT THE INJECTORS.. or as many as u can reach..!! And spin it until u get fuel and no bubbles and then tighten them up..
And you say you're "an idiot when it comes to mechanical fixes"! I don't believe it after that comment!
Yes, if the transfer pump won't pump fuel, even after its primed, that's a pretty good sign it a fuel pump problem. You can blow it out with air, even a garden hose, pump it off the engine and see if it works. You can tell whats going on by the pressure on the lever and when and how long the pressure holds, run a hose into a can for testing, can use water fine, the pump won't care as long as it's not hooked to the injection pump.
It’s ALIVE. Thank you so much everyone. I got one fuel line off at the injector - cranked it, fuel came out. Still no go. Took a second line off; cranked it and fuel came out. After that I got black smoke and it fired up. My wife will be forever grateful. She’s able to get her car out of the garage now Again, thanks for the help.
Haha. When you’re always working by yourself you’ve got to McGyver a lot of things. I’m still an idiot when it comes to diesel fixes.
Happy wife, happy life!
I did the same as BGW yesterday evening. I was working on a hill, and the gauge said I had fuel, though low. Came down while my wife went and go diesel. turned it off, refilled and sure enough..won't start :-( I am going to go through this process today to bleed and put pressure into the lines. Crossing my fingers.
This worked like a charm. Able to repurpose bicycle tube to add pressure to the gas tank ultimately had to loosen a couple injectors to get the air all the way out. One thing I screwed up last night in the dark was cross threading the fuel filter breather bolt…doh! Looks like that fuel lift is made out of aluminum? Unless I re-thread it I’ll probably have to replace this part. Still trying to find out what it is numbered.