Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ran out of diesel

WildBill199 ยท 2024-05-20 20:23

I just ran out diesel while on an incline. I need to bleed the system. I am not a mechanic and have never done this before. Does anyone have a bleeding the diesel system for idiots for my cat 235b.

Replies8
  1. #1CM19952024-05-20 20:31

    Welcome to the Forums WB199! Glad to have you. Well your first post is a loaded one. The wrenches on HEF will need a serial # in order to determine the configuration of 235B you have. Not sure on how far back the Cat online system goes for older machinery. Best of luck!

  2. #2WildBill1992024-05-20 20:35

    Thanks for your reply CM1995, it's a 1986. I will get serial number

  3. #3CM19952024-05-20 21:21

    BTW - I am no mechanic. It's in my tagline.

  4. #4Jonas3022024-05-20 22:11

    I dont know the machine I think they have a 3306 engine ? unually pretty easy to get those to start Find your primer pump unscrew the knob and pump until you hear fuel returning to the tank have someone work the starter may help while your pumping dont over heat the starter just give it some cranks there could be a small bolt bleed screw or large knob on the filter housing to let the air out

  5. #5WildBill1992024-05-21 08:24

    Thank you so much. I will give it a try.

  6. #6MarcusZ19672024-05-21 09:02

    This is what it should look like on the engine.

  7. #7Mobiltech2024-05-21 09:18

    loosen the injector lines on top of the injectors then pump the primer until you see fuel flowing at loosened lines. Tighten them and it should start fairly easy after that.

  8. #8Coaldust2024-05-21 19:49

    Hopefully the 40 year old primer pump still works. And the incline was probably at just to right angle for the fuel system to ingest the last drops of fuel, water and other dregs of the sump. Fuel filters will be next. Then, a new thread about fuel system troubleshooting. Welcome to the HEF, Wildbill199. Do you happen to collect old giant excavators in your spare time? Head on over to the new member forum and introduce yourself Homeowners buying old giant excavators? Wonder what the world will be like when everyone is a construction equipment operator, HVAC repairman, computer repairman, hardwood floor installer, brain surgeon, dentist, landscaper, politician-oops forgot everyone already is that, chef, well driller, college professor, lawyer, pilot... HeavyEquipmentForums