Just wanted to vent about a dozer I drove a very long way to look at. The owner says the dozer is in great operating shape and fleet maintained. Drive 800 miles one way. I get there and start checking the machine over, kingpins have never been greased and have about an inch of slop in them, won't shift into second gear, won't steer in one direction, needs all new throttle and brake cables, numerous hydraulic leaks, has a clunk when you try to steer in one direction(probably needs bevel gear or clutch hubs). Not sure if he was naive or trying to be deceptive, but what a colossal waste of time and money, and everybody wonders why you won't buy something site unseen. Rant over.
Been there before
That's when you offer a ridiculous low offer and use it as a parts dozer then buy one that is worthy of what you need. Been there done that.
He was asking 24k, came down to 21,500. I made what I thought was more than a fair offer of 18k but we couldn't make a deal.
There are numerous definitions great operating shape.
Especially if the seller is a farmer.....
Don’t worry someone else will buy it and next week make a post here of “I got this dozer at a great price but it won’t move after it warms up” lol
It's hard to be an educated buyer in a sea of idiots.
I had a person tell me how great some thing ran and went on and on about how go it was. When i got there they were not home but it was setting were i could see it. It hadnt been moved in years was sunk down 3" in the dirt. I waited around they never showed up or would answer my calls.
Worst part about making an offer is they might take it I'm not a great salesman if someone is going to be driving a long ways to see equipment they will be pleasantly surprised when they get here most people in this business don't have the time to waste
Very true, the dozer did have a brand new set of tracks and pads, that weren't installed yet. It did have a lot of corrosion on tracks frames(salt water).I could have dealt with sandblasting and paint. I've been trying to find a little dozer like this for almost a year and overly frustrated about being mislead.
I don't understand ranting over horrible misrepresentation, and then you offered within $3,500 of what he's asking for it. Sounds to me like you were pretty close in price for what he's asking for it. I can see being upset about going at looking at something that's worth $10,000 and they want $20,000. but they want 21,500 and you offered $18? Sounds to me like you guys are pretty close to each other on what its worth.
The second to the last inspection I did {last year} on a dump truck {asking price of 35K}. I looked at it The buyer asked what I thought while the owner stood there. I said {I wouldn't drive this to a buzzard f@&k}. The buyer turned to owner and said {I guess that about sums it up}.
Then when I go to sell things. I list them with all the flaws. And people don't want to come look at it because they figure it is twice as bad as I stated. Probably because of experiences like post #1.
It was listed for 26,He was pretty firm on the 24 prior to my inspection. After pointing out all the serious issues with the great operating condition and offering the 18 he went to 21.5 but wouldnt budge past that. Itdid have a brand new set of tracks not installed, factored into my offer. Some things aren't meant to be.
Truth saves both the buyer and seller (you) a lot of time. I'd rather send off something with the buyer happy than getting complaints later. Sold a car to someone that blew its engine soon after. I had told them every defect I knew about, including the high mileage. I felt bad for them and refunded some of their money. They appreciated the gesture, as it showed I wasn't out to cheat them. It's the crooks that don't see the time and effort they spent getting over on unsuspecting sucker. But that's the game they play.
Are all manner of "My Machine is Perfect "owners that 'deal with' issues on them every day and do not bat an eye. Seen it time and again where knowing what UC beyond just rails and pads cost, what hard systems failure costs as Engines or transmissions even with great parts availability then are the Orphan Miscreants Allis, and Others that have ZERO parts availability or models so long out of production only second rate IFFY to use at best parts are out there. Guys buy old dozers, spend a lot more then wanted to, use them until basically used up then want ALL their money back, basically walk away when that comes up, leave it for the brain dead.
I won't go look at equipment for people looking to purchase anymore. Years ago I went to look at a backhoe for a buddy who was in an all fired up hurry, I told him it was a toilet, month later it needs a transmission ( big surprise ) his wife who I know from another buisness gives me a hard time because I said it was a good machine according to her husband, I told her I told him it was a toilet and turns out to be a giant turd. Buying machines with unknown origins is what the auction is for, Does it start- yes, does it pull ahead-yes, is it going to have years of maintenance free service- its a gamble.
That's the same for everything.... cars, trucks, bikes, snowmobiles, cups and saucers. Like new condition..... My favorite line for buying a car, Safety inspected till next year.....
Or the Driveway Guarantee
Everything I've ever bought used had the taillight warranty. As is-where is.
StevenG, I know where a 455 (I think) is. It’s definitely not close to you but I’d be glad to see what the owner is looking to get out of it. Condition is unknown. We loaded it on a rollback about three months ago to transport from his FIL, who passed away, to his place. Don’t think it’s ever been inside a shed! Oops, it doesn’t have a dozer blade on it! I know of a similar machine. This owner also passed away and it’s in his barn. Still with a bucket, not a blade.
BootHeal, I really appreciate your willingness to check into that for me but I'm pretty dead set on a d21 komatsu. I need something I can move job to job cheaply without having to use a lowboy or get a CDL.
I bought a D20PL-6 fifteen years ago that had a lot of salt damage. It had an 8 foot tilt blade and wide tracks on it. The tracks and drive sprockets were new. The track rollers were shot. I had to replace them all. The track frame was so worn and rusted at the front that the idler wheels up front wobbled and kept throwing tracks. Going underneath in the pan all the heads on the bolts were rusted away so a socket wouldn’t work. Had to weld extensions on to be able to back them out. I’ve done a whole lot to restore the old thing with a new radiator being the latest. The original radiator had steel fins in it which had partially rusted away causing it to overheat. I won’t say I got a good deal on the machine but I could have done worse. I paid 10K for it which should have been 8K. The engine has been trouble free. I’ve put a new main clutch and steering clutches in it as well as brakes. I welded 1 inch wide steel bars to the pyramid tracks so it pushes like crazy. It’s done a tremendous amount of work for us even though the blade is loosey goosey. It was not designed for heavy earth moving but more for finish grading. With the modifications I’ve made it has done a lot of digging. The D21 would be far better at clearing land due to its hydrostatic transmission. The D20 you have to keep your foot on the clutch pedal ready to release so you don’t kill the engine.
When I was in the car business years ago I figured the further away it was the more likely they were lying. Usually was true. Not always, but usually. Joe H
It seems like the older d20 and d21 lever steers can be had 10-15 range depending on condition. I'm being picky and want a d21 -7 or -8 with joysticks. From my research and understanding, they are almost bulletproof little dozers as long as they are maintained, steering clutch issues aside. No matter what used equipment I've ever bought I've always had to tinker and put some money into them.
This one is 20 minutes from me here in Tulsa It is a -7 machine. The blade pivot is loose as hell and has a leaking angle cylinder. Customer is asking $15K
Wonder why one track is on backwards?
Probably just someone worked on it that did not know front from back!
I went to look at a pickup i called and talk to them 3 times i said look i am a mechanic i will know when i see it what it is tell me what is what now before i drive out there. He said its in good shape but has one hole in a rocker panel you could stick a pencil in. I took a trailer and drove out to look at it. I could see it setting along the road a mile away it had a brush paint job. I told my self this guy is getting a talking to . He wasnt home at the time we agreed on . It was rusty and had been puttyed up but yes there was only one hole in a rocker were the putty had fallen out. I weighted around then went back to a town close by ate dinner then went back never saw him. I think i tryed to call him later when i got home but he didnt answer.
I have gotten some very good deals over the years maybe 6 total. I never tell you about the 100's I looked at that were JUNK LOL.
A friend of mine just bought a 1500 Ram at auction, frame is held together with channel iron from Tractor Supply with welds that look like bird Sh&t.
I am not saying this to bitch its just the way it is but anytime you get something even if it was free it can be a deal. At the end if you spent to much on a junker but you fixed it up and got alot of use from it then you did ok.
The track on backwards is for circle track racing. Joe H
I sent you a message.
My worst buy has been a trailer at an auction and trusting inspection to mean something, many years ago I was naive to think people would not fake/change out brake drums, shoes, and tires before a sale. But overall i've had pretty good luck buying from honest people. A few pieces where after I think dahm I practically stole this thing. When I bought my 210 it seemed great, knew it was a good price (worse machines at auctions sold days before for more), but still negotiated a bit down. When I showed up to pick up the machine the guy was like "don't forget your extra buckets". I thought it only included a ripper, but it also included a twist bucket, digging bucket, and another smooth bucket, easily worth another $10k, which is a lot when only paying $60k for the machine. Only problem I had was a sensor for pattern control changer kept coming up with error codes when I called and asked him about it he offered to send his mechanic to look at it for free. Turns out mechanic just put the box for new part in the cab didn't replace it, he chewed him out for it and apologized for it. Over 4 years later it has been incredibly reliable and very obvious it was always looked after well.
Because someone was a dumbass, and it wasn't me
It was HNC & TNH.
LOL
Turns easier... Like Indy cars ... Make only left turns.
The first time i drove a stock car was packing a dirt track back wards clockwise. I thought how can you drive this thing . We when around a few times then they turned us around and we hot lapped alot better.