Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

rare scraper

malcolm · 2008-11-26 02:00

This is a Hewco scraper made in huntly NewZealand they made 6 before Terex bought them out and shut them down . 2 standard fordsons with the back one having the crownwheel put on the other side to go the other way gear shift was by vacum pistons controled by electric solonoids not easy in the late 50s enjoy

Replies22
  1. #1Jim Irwin2008-11-26 02:05

    Great Stuff!

  2. #2curly2008-11-26 10:20

    Wow, combined horsepower of 104!!

  3. #3DPete2008-11-26 13:41

    Ahead of it's time no doubt. What is a crownwheel? does it change the rotation since the rear tractor is facing backwards so both transmissions operate in foreward gears?

  4. #4WabcoMan2008-11-26 17:47

    Hewco Twin Six Nice pics Malcolm. I believe Hewco (Hunly Engineering & Welding Co) were actually part of the Clyde Group of companies. Terex did not buy them out. They would have suffered when Clyde folded around 1983 and were almost certainly sold off to the highest bidder. Now the Twin Six. I know of at least 8 manufactured. Also, some single endgined versions as well. The bowl is a copy of the Heil OC-6 (also made in Australia by Britstand). ointhead

  5. #59420pullpan2008-11-26 20:52

    How about Komatsu Scrapers How about Komatsu Scrapers

  6. #6malcolm2008-11-27 01:10

    hewco Huntly enginnering were not part of clyde eng they were a private company owned by the guy in the photos at the controls It was clydes that bought them out at terex instructions as told to me buy his son who is still alive and able to verify details you are right about the numbers it was 8 i must have hit he wrong key

  7. #7Deas Plant2008-11-27 05:28

    Crown wheel Hi DPete. The crown wheel is a DownUnder term for the gear on the differential carrier that is driven by the pinion from the output end of the transmission. Almost always a bevel gear configuration, the backlash - slack - between crown wheel and pinion has to pretty precisely adjusted to stop the teeth being impacted by shock loads and changes of direction, a la a car or truck differential. They would have put the crown wheel on the opposite side of the pinion to allow for the reverse rotation of the backwards-facing rear engine. Hope this helps.

  8. #8alan627b2008-11-27 13:53

    Anybody here actually run any of the Komatsu scrapers? I just wonder what they were like. I wonder why Komatsu gave up on them, maybe caterpillar has the market too well established to go up against them? They look to be well designed machines, they use a suspended axle like Terex Loadrunners do. Cat was smart to keep thie patents up on the cushion hitch! alan627b

  9. #9Turbo218352008-11-27 16:05

    I thought Komatsu pans were the same as internationals?

  10. #10WabcoMan2008-11-27 16:30

    Hi Alan, I disagree there a bit. I think that cushion hitch gives the dirt a good ride but I much prefer the suspended axle. There is quite a bit of weight involved in the cushion hitch and its all above the centreline of the machine. Also, you still get that initial 'whack' compared to a machine with a suspended axle. What the cushion hitch does do is help prevent the subsequent leaping about inherent in a two axle scraper. An old Cat employee once told me that the cushion hitch was originally designed to stop the 631B from breaking in half as they had real structural problems in the hitch area. Apparently the early 631B's were so rough riding that some kind of fix had to be devised so that they could fully utilize their speed without compromising structural integrity. He told me it was a brilliant marketing coup on Cat's part. Kind of like promoting a machines weakness in a way.

  11. #11surfer-joe2008-11-27 16:54

    The early Komatsu designs were poor and the engineering was atrocious. I looked at some double barrel K's in Pennsylvania in 1988 at Anderson's. They were trying to peddle them to anyone that would take them, but usually after a very short try, any contractor that demo'ed them called Anderson to come take them back, quick! There were also some we looked at in a coal mine north of Pittsburg just sitting. They had about 2200 hours on them, but would not make a full production shift before breaking down so the mine just parked them in the weeds. They were trying to sell them, but the last I heard there were no takers and it was mentioned that they might get cut up for scrap. Other than a very few pictures, I haven't seen any Komatsu scrapers working in the United States since then, that's what -- twenty years? Can't say I've missed them…..

  12. #12RDG2008-12-06 21:45

    Komatsu Scraper I have operated a WS16S here in QLD, had plenty of grunt from a 365hp Cummins , tractor unit seemed to big for the bowl compared to a 621 which is its Cat equivilent, seat position is along way of the ground. Every pin/apron roller etc had a grease nipple with the suspended axle having plenty which required getting under the machine to grease them, probably gave a slightly smoother ride than a Cat. Bowl controls were air over hyd which gave no feel, the apron was either goin up or down, same with the bowl, very hard to do any trimming but good for pump loading in sand .Give us a Cat scraper any day, another Co here on the coast is still running 2x ws16s and Golding Contractors in central Qld were running about 15 or so WS16 & 23S a while back.

  13. #13graemets32009-01-12 20:58

    The Hewco. If I am wrong, transmission's would have been mechanical/manual. How were changes made on the go in the rear module?

  14. #14WabcoMan2009-01-12 21:51

    Hi Graemets3 The rear transmission was shifted electro-pneumatically. (electrically activated air shift cylinder) ointhead

  15. #15alan627b2009-01-13 02:53

    Komatsu's definately weren't Internationals, but it sounds like they have the same reputation! My employers bought 5 new 433's or 444's ( I think) 2 or 3 were paddlewheels the rest open bowl. Mostly to show the Cat dealer they weren't the only game in town. At the end of their first year, one was stripped almost to the frame for parts for the other 4. The dealer had to put in back together under warranty. The transmissions tended to shell out if you used them above 3 rd gear. Although I was told the 444's with teeth would eat their way through 3 feet of frost! The elevators had a drive motor at each end of the shaft. I remember seeing them around, usually with a mechanic's truck parked next to them. Hydraulic rear starter too, I'll bet that was fun on cold days! alan627b

  16. #16malcolm2009-01-14 02:33

    A survivor I found a survivor abit rough but under cover and nearly all there

  17. #17QuAD2009-01-15 11:13

    Nice found Malcolm, are you restore it?

  18. #18malcolm2009-01-17 01:58

    survivor Hi quad no it is not mine but is in a collection and will be restored one day cheers malcolm

  19. #19bigrus2010-04-15 06:40

    Some in Oz The Australian Army engineers had some. I saw them at Ennogerra Base at an open day in the 90's

  20. #20RDG2010-04-16 03:14

    The one we had was ex AUS ARMY was still painted in Armys 2 tone green, one good thing and probably the only good thing they had going for them was they had oil cooled brakes on all wheels, dont recall any other scrapers having that back then. Cheers RDG

  21. #21alan627b2011-11-18 21:44

    They Live http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/266911?h=null and http://eu.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/266914?h=null it's possible you might have to roegister to view these links, but if you are looking for detail pics of machinery their listings are hard to beat. There are at least some of these things still around.. I G@@GLEd Komatsu WS23 and WS16 to find what I did. Also found a website for Komatsu lovers... http://en.komatsu-club.com/ Alan

  22. #22X Quad Operator2011-11-22 19:29

    Malcolm the ram right behind the goose neck that raised the scraper? the two arms on both sides of the scraper bowl the are the arms that raise the apern? is the apron hydrolic to? Isn't it a shame when a big equiptment company like Euclid buy's out a small business like Hewco and never builds the Hewco product again. Hewco what a neat little scraper that was, hope your friend restores that cuttie real soon. Mike Nebergall