Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ratcheting or Snap Binders?

BKrois · 2003-11-06 19:07

Just wondering what every ones to secure machines down? The person i was working for used ratcheting chain binders. While it may be a little slower to use than a snap binder, it is a lot safer. Two people i know have gotten their faces hit when the snap binder didn't want to stay. One has permanent damage to his teeth while the other had his nose cracked. Who uses what?

Replies130
  1. #1digger242j2003-11-06 22:03

    Ratcheting. They may seem more time consuming, but in my experience the snap binders never get as tight as you'd like them when you first put them on. By the time you take them loose and adjust them by another link or two you can have the ratchet type all cranked down tight and be on your way. I assume the people you know who got hurt were using a cheater of some sort? I can see how you could get hit that way, but I have a hard time imagining why you'd have your face close enogh for the handle of the binder itself to hit you. Either way, it hurts just to think about it...

  2. #2wyldman2003-11-06 22:49

    I've seen the damage those chain binders can do,quite nasty. I've used ratcheting straps on smaller stuff like cars,trucks,and such,but didn't know they were even rated for tying down heavy equipment.I've never seen them used for that around here anyways.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2003-11-06 23:02

    I'm the oddball in the bunch, surprise! I use the snap binders with a cheater stick, but am very careful. When I worked at a construction company, they used the rachet style but they never seemed to last very long. They alway got run over by a machine then would be useless. The snap types seem to take a bit more abuse.

  4. #4donlang2003-11-07 21:48

    In my opinion, there is no other way than ratchet binders. If you secure a rubber tired machine with a snap over binder, they tend to loosen when the machine gives while underway. Ratchet binders do not come loose unless the load moves. I always try to pull in oposing directions, and have found little or no trouble. Also, heavier chains don't stretch over a period of time using ratchet binders. 3/8" as a minimum, even for skid loaders, 1/2" for bigger equipment. If you use smaller chains, you will replace them more often from them being stretched.

  5. #5paulsoccodato2003-11-09 11:19

    i use ratcheting also

  6. #6Dusty2003-11-10 20:11

    ratchet binders are safer and hold tighter and are quick to tighten if they losen up on the way a few clicks and it is tight again

  7. #7BRL2003-11-10 21:09

    My vote is for ratchet style also, though I have most often used the other ones.

  8. #8SteveB2003-11-14 16:42

    I use both. On the front corners I use snap binders (tighten with a cheater bar then saftey wired) and on the back corners I use the ratchet type. I've never had either set come loose while travelling so I'm either doing it right (doubtful) or lucky. I do think the ratchet type are easier to get tight the first time.

  9. #9GeoffD2003-11-16 12:50

    I guess i am the cowboy of the group. I use snap binders with a cheater pipe. However i don't even use safety wire, just take the slack chain, run it around the binder and call it good. Geoff

  10. #10DKinWA2003-11-16 23:30

    I use the snap binders like most folks around here. I'm afraid rain and rust would take it's toll on the ratchet mechanism and cause problems down the road. I actually like the idea of the ratchet style, but I've never even seen them for sale in any of the truck shops. I didn't even know they existed until recently when I saw them in a tool catalog on the net.

  11. #11Arc Burn2003-11-17 20:25

    For small equipment like lawn mowers and such i use snap binders but when i was in construction all we used were ratchet binders.We would pre-fab bridges inside and then tear them down and haul them out,no one ever dreamed of using a snap binder on those loads.An occasional burst of WD-40 or something of the like and we never had any rust issues and we worked year round in all weather types.I feel you can get a ratchet binder tighter than the snap binder anyways,not to mention the whole saftey factor Just my 2cents

  12. #12shaper2003-12-16 20:25

    Ratchet binders by choice. If I haul more than one piece of equipment on a trailer I'll have to break at the snap binders

  13. #13Taylortractornu2003-12-16 22:29

    I use snap binders on my hoe. When i use my gooesneck trailer I have a hook that is in the front of my machine. ill bind it down super tight then go to the back and bind it down through the 2 chain holes back there and throw a nilon strap across the middle of the machine and latch it down . rarely it will be a few inches forwards. The snap Binders are a bit dangerous but i have alot of trouble with keeping the ratchet type.

  14. #14Blademan2003-12-17 01:29

    I've used both , and in my humble opinion , ratchet binders are the safest . And safety comes first and foremost for me . After many near misses , usually with a cheater bar , I switched over and can't really ever see myself going back . I've also gotten to know a few heavy haulers , and they all seem to of switched over to the ratchet type too . Years ago , the guy over at our local Bobcat dealer was actually amazed that I was securing down a rental skid steer with a snap binder . He told me the pain to his jaw was excruciating when he got smoked by a snap binder once , on the farm he grew up on . Spent two weeks in the hospital and fistfuls of cash putting his face back together . But , what it comes down to , is you do what you gotta do . You could be the safest guy on the job , only to slip on some ice and smoke your noggin . Life can be funny like that sometimes . Rob

  15. #15max diyer2005-02-26 10:03

    I have extensive experience with both types of binders. I overwhelmingly prefer ratchets. I have seen too many accidents with the snap type. The worst was when I was chaining a load down and a guy was helping me, on the other side of the trailer. We were talking and when he didn't answer, I went around and he was laying on the ground. The cheater pipe came off the binder and hit him in the face. His right face was crushed and he lost an eye. Shortly after that I sold all of my snap binders. I use ratchet binders or ratchet straps, exclusively!

  16. #16will_gurt2005-02-26 19:20

    This is how and why the nickname skullbuster is associated with the snap binder.

  17. #17Cat4202005-02-26 19:33

    I have seen some ratchet binders that use a detachable handle. This would not stop a determined thief, but could be used to secure tool boxes or other large objects on the job. I also prefer ratchet binders for securing loads down, they just feel so much better to me.

  18. #18woberlin2005-02-26 21:26

    I too only use rachet binders to haul my secure my equipment. I have never had a problem with them rusting or not operating. An occasional shot of oil, and you should never have a problem. Thr current issue of Grading & Excavating Contractor magazine has an entire page of does and dont's for securing equipment for transport. Very informative.

  19. #19littledenny2005-02-26 21:50

    Ratcheting binders, always. I'd let all the air out of the tires and secure a load with chain only (pumping the tires up again, of course,) before I'd use a snap binder. (This is hard to do with tracked equipment, though.) Was a truck platoon leader in the Army years ago, saw way too many close calls with young kids trying to manhandle cheater bars and snap binders - luckily no one got busted on my watch, but boy, I sure worried about a few of them. Some of these kids needed more rocks in their pockets to even pull on a cheater bar, finally got them to get over it, and ask for assistance. Snap binders -- never again.

  20. #20triaxle2005-04-06 09:57

    Binder Reminder When using snap over binders, it is critical to position yourself and the binder correctly to avoid injury. Maintain contact of feet with the ground, do not lunge. Never push down on a cheater with your body above it. Never push the cheater away from your body. ( in other words, pull the cheater bar without entering the path the cheater will follow if you lose control) Keep a roll of duct tape to secure the break over binders during transport. Tighten all load equipment after 5 miles. Most states also require "transfer chain" of either GS-70 or GS-80 rating. If your chain meets this rating, it will have a stamp on each link stating the rating. 3/8 OK for small machines but 1/2 common on heavier equipment transport. Regulations require 4 point chaining on every piece over 10,000 lbs. Happy Trails

  21. #21xkvator2005-04-21 11:49

    Peerless - made in china? i was at the local Case dealer the other day & some real pretty blue Peerless ratcheting binders on the shelf caught my eye. As i'm always buying extra - just in case - tools,etc., I was going to buy 2 until i saw the made in china stamped in the handle. What's you're opinions?

  22. #22Steve Frazier2005-04-21 13:37

    Unfortunately in some respects, "Made in China" no longer automatically means inferior quality. Their metalurgy techniques have come a long way in the past couple years. A few years ago I'd just take a pass on made in China tools, but now some of them rival American name brands in strength at half the cost. Good for the consumers but bad for the American workers. I can't comment specifically on the binder you mention, but it would be worth looking into.

  23. #23Cat4202005-04-21 14:35

    I'd have to agree with taking a look at items that are made in China. Practice makes perfect and the Chinese have been getting a lot of practice at making lots of things. Same thing with Japan, Japanese cars used to be junk, but now Toyotas are one of the top brands for quality.

  24. #24Catpower2008-01-05 21:06

    Ratcheding or Snap Binders I take the approch when tieing things down in my truck or trailer what is the worst case that may happen. Even the quad gets two 2 inch wratchet straps or did. I always over do it so as not to attract DOT's attention. I did see some people up by Slave lake some months ago with house hold goods in a trailer secured with 1/4" rope sort of. Guess who DOT had pulled over in there inspection blitz. When securing backhoes Chained in 4 corners and the stick. Still learning.

  25. #25Eric2008-01-06 00:09

    Rachett every time!! I know a guy that had a snap slip on him, hit him so hard he joined the DOT!!!

  26. #26bobcat ron2008-01-06 11:35

    Ratcheting on the heavy end of my MTL and 2 "mini" snappers on the front corners with a WLL of 3600 lbs each.

  27. #27Colin Doy2008-01-06 17:01

    I'm new here so this is an easy answer to start with. 25 years ago binders is all I used. Now ratchets are the only way to go (for me). Less dangerous to use and easier to keep tightened. I wonder what we'll use in 25 years time!

  28. #28smalltime2008-01-06 20:26

    Ratchet binders always. I read some coments on dirt & water, but I am bad about leaving them in the trailer tongue & dropping them in the dirt. A little PB Blaster & they work fine. I have had some for at least 10 years with no problems.

  29. #29RollOver Pete2008-01-06 21:38

    I still use a snap binder. Maybe one day I'll get some ratchet binders.

  30. #30Eric2008-01-06 21:52

    Woah, nice truck!

  31. #31RonG2008-01-07 05:16

    I prefer the over center binders too,much easier to use,handle and store in my opinion.You can use them in the dark without having to try and figure out which way the darn thing is ratcheting and if you are tightening it or is it going to come apart in your hands.Not all tractors have hookup lights and I have cussed those ratchet binders a lot of times.When I remove a binder I leave the pawl where it was until I need it again but not everyone does that so if someone else has borrowed your binder you don't know where it is going to be set when you need it again and this applies to daylight too really,you still have to check it.Sometimes when you throw them in the storage bin the pawl can flip over on you too. With the over center binders you just need a 3 or 4 foot length of conduit or pipe and you are all set,if you know how to hook the chain to it you can tighten it as tight as you could ever need. The only time I reach for a ratchet binder is when I can use it to bind the 4 corners of a track machine to the deck frame instead of using the D rings and a chain.The snap over binder is much faster too although you do need to use some care when you release them.I have seen that pipe go flying )Ron G

  32. #32Squizzy246B2008-01-07 06:11

    Does anybody have some pics of the exact types of Ratchet binders being discussed here?..Please.

  33. #33d4c24a2008-01-07 13:34

    ratchet binder this is what i use

  34. #34Eric2008-01-07 14:42

    Here's one from today. This is how I haul our JDexcavator. Save a turbo... stuff your exhaust!!!! Sorry about all the links, I'm not having any luck resizing my pictures:beatsme

  35. #35Ray Welsh2008-01-07 18:21

    Sorry to disagree with you Steve, for safety nowdays it's ratchet for me. Osama Bin Laden probably reads this site in his spare time. Many years ago he was one of the worlds biggest private Caterpillar owners. I wonder why you keep giving him free press?? GW Bush stated a few years ago, "Mission accomplished".......C ya.........Ray

  36. #36SouthOnBeach2008-01-07 19:25

    i'm lazy and like my rachet binders. i think though somewhere we still have a few snaps laying around for those times we need just one more binder to secure everyhing well.

  37. #37Countryboy2008-01-07 22:27

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Catpower! :drinkup

  38. #38Countryboy2008-01-07 22:28

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Colin Doy! :drinkup

  39. #39Catpower2008-01-07 23:09

    Ratchting or Snap Binders This is off the topic alittle but guess I will be back running JD backhoe and grader ( JD or Champian )starting Wednesday. Oh no how much have I forgot. :beatsme Will have the run the carrier truck app it has an 18 spd to carry the hoe around. ( Oh good) Think I saw snap binders on it.

  40. #40GaryKelley2008-01-14 22:48

    What I DO... Is something that shows how lazy I can be. I use snap binders on the right side, front and back. And ratchet binders on the left. My theory is this: I can set the 2 snap binders on the right, fairly tight with my hands..and NO I do not wear a red cape. Then I can tighten the ratchet binders on the left side pretty darn tight... all this without having to get the winch bar...Of course, sometimes I have more than ONE piece to lash down, in which case I'll get the rest of the snap binders...

  41. #41Dusty2008-01-14 23:09

    velcrow is the way to go

  42. #42Freightrain2008-01-16 09:30

    20 yrs ago when I drove for the company I still work for, I used snap binders cause that's all we had back then. Always had a 1 1/2" alum pipe for cheater and never had issues. Always wrapped chain around binder when done. This all changed when we got a new driver. He wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box.............he was undoing a load one day in the shop and instead of holding onto the cheater pipe, he just PUSHED it and it promptly thru the cheater across the shop. Luckily I saw it coming and ducked, unfortunately a co-worker wasn't so lucky and he got it in the forehead . He got knocked for a loop, but since the cheater was thin wall alum pipe it wasn't deadly(not quite). Lucky he didn't stay a driver for long

  43. #43HeavyHaul4Life2008-02-18 18:37

    Ratchet Binders Hello everyone, I drive over the road for a company doing heavy haul(over dimensional loads - height, width and weight). When I was just a plain linehaul driver I used the snap binders the company issues everyone. These binders come with a disclaimer(videos in orientation of folks with half their face torn off and the like), use at your own risk. When I started heavy haul, I was given the option to purchase my own ratchet binders. I use Dixie Industries by Columbus McKinnon Forge Group. I picked them up at the Utility trailer dealer in Columbus, OH for $18 a piece. I use 5/16 gr 70 chain and the matching binders. 12 of each on the truck here. These binders were well worth the cost and I would gladly do it again knowing how easy and much more secure my cargo is now than before. Matt

  44. #44Countryboy2008-02-18 20:07

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums HeavyHaul4Life! :drinkup

  45. #45fhansen2008-03-08 02:34

    We like Columbus-Mckinnon ratchet binders but also have snap binders on the trailers so we often use both-snap binders on one end of a piece of equipment and ratchets on the opposite end.

  46. #46Boots2008-04-05 08:49

    Everyone around here says the rachet binders are or will shortly be illegal from the DOT, (don't know why?). Just got a delivery from a trucker in Penn and Ill and he said the same thing. Has anyone else heard this? The truckers who move our tractors always use snap over. On rubber tire machines, you compress the tires when you snap the binder over with a cheater and the air pressure in the tires hold the machine in place. Can't get one tight without a cheater. Obviously I'm in the minority in this thread, but if what we hear is true everyone is going to have to learn how to get them tight. There have been millions of loads held down with snap over binders. Everything we do is dangerous to somone.

  47. #47Cat4202008-04-05 10:58

    A ratchet binder will do the same thing with a pipe on it, so this shouldn't make a difference in which one you use. True, but how often would you drive the wrong direction in traffic and expect to stay in one piece? Not every situation needs to be pushing the limits, just because "bad things happen to everyone". With that said, I race quads, so don't think I'm terrified to take risks. There just doesn't seem to be much of a benefit to the risks taken in this case:beatsme

  48. #48bobcat ron2008-04-05 14:41

    The only thing I ever hated with ratchet binders is when you start cranking them at first, the chain also starts to twist, this always makes me start using foul language.

  49. #49texascadillac422008-04-05 18:45

    Interesting, out here in IL, and also in NY, I have heard from DOT officers that snap over binders are soon to be illegal, and ratchet types will be mandatory. :beatsme I personally run ratchet binders when moving my equipment (all smaller stuff, up to 18k) because the few DOT officers I have talked to seem to be happier seeing those.

  50. #50Camarogenius2008-04-22 23:24

    Ratchet binders have their place, and I have a few. I prefer snap binders, but not the normal kind. I have what are called "Safety binders". The handle is free floating, so if it pops loose, the handle won't hurt you, even with the cheater pipe on it. Also, they have a cam action on the release, so even if they're super tight, you can release them by hand. I'll take some pics tomorrow if anyone is interested. As to the made in China thing. Get a clue. I don't care how much their quality has "improved". I buy American, because I'm an American. Somewhere in America, there's a guy that feeds his family by going to work every day, and making binders, or [insert any item you want here] That guy's job depends on me caring more about my country, than saving a couple of bucks. If you'd rather give your money to china, maybe a cheater pipe in the forehead will be of some service to you.

  51. #51Preppypyro2008-04-25 00:28

    I myself prefer quality over where its made. If its ten times better quality, and made in south africa, its got my vote! I could care less about another fellas job, I got myself to worry about first.

  52. #527AXLES2008-04-25 20:34

    Thats probably because Canada don't make anything except French toast!

  53. #53Preppypyro2008-04-26 11:00

    Cmon now lets be realistic. French toast is from france! All we make up here is igloos!!

  54. #54bob b2008-06-21 22:42

    Ive seen several drivers with missing teeth due to snap binders rachet binders are the way to go

  55. #55Colin Doy2008-06-22 16:16

    Hey Camarogenius I'm with you on the "home grown" issue. :usaCould you maybe take a few pics of those binders for me? The manufacturers name would be helpful too. Cheers:drinkup

  56. #56catchick2008-06-24 11:06

    I have always used ratchet binder.....my bro used to move houses, he was using a snap binder and cheater to tie something down, I can't even remember what now, anyhow he was in a hurry and wound up crushing the orbit around his eye and splitting over a 1/4 of his face open. I use the ratchet because of that accident but like blademan said you could be the safest guy....and it still doesn't mean you won't get hurt. We make better beer too

  57. #57cat3202008-06-24 13:07

    I have always used binders but I think I would spend the extra for the ratchet just because of the saftey factor.

  58. #58Camarogenius2008-08-21 21:34

    WOW!! How did this escape me? I'll post some pics and specs this weekend.

  59. #597AXLES2008-08-21 22:07

    Yea, that happens, but usually cause they are dry....I use that spray on lithium grease...last for days.

  60. #60TriHonu2008-08-25 23:29

    These are available from Safeland Industrial Supply .

  61. #61IH270A2008-08-26 00:29

    well I must be another oddball ...... around here every one has been in the logging buisness for years .. and we have all used snap binders for years , and I have never seen an accident with them except once when a chain link actually broke , I saw some trying to use those ratchet binders but once they got full of pine tree sap they were usually thrown along with a few choice words .. however I am not saying they aren't used , just the people I know .....

  62. #62OCR2008-08-26 02:23

    I must be an odd ball too: Ratchet binders can be a real pita... but they will crank down a load tight... but so will snap binders and they're faster. And as you say...once they got full of pine tree sap they were usually thrown... I think that's the worst part about them. Here's a twist on a different use. This is a Flexi coil 300A chisel plow... and any one who has one, knows how hard it is to get them leveled... especially after you break one of those roller chain links... this solves the problem... and you don't even have to take the hooks off. Another thing a ratchet binder can be used for sometimes... is a jack or spreader... don't use it to pull in...sometimes you can place them just right and push out. I like and hate them at the same time... OCR PS: I'm not completely done with the mods. here... that's why nothing is painted... it's still in the " proof of concept phase"...

  63. #63OCR2008-08-26 03:00

    Few more: This adjustment is critical... if it's not right, sections of the plow dig deeper than the rest... and you can carry an extra one...

  64. #64IH270A2008-08-27 00:47

    WEll is that an old KONGSKILED chisel plow , we had one similar when I was young and , we used to plant soy beans ........ seems like the one we had also had clod breaking rollers on the back that was spring loaded .

  65. #65OCR2008-08-27 01:19

    HelloIH270A, This is a Flexi coil 300A chisel plow. Take care, OCR

  66. #66imbzcul8r2008-10-05 23:59

    We are using ratchet cinches, but they are far from being the final answer. We had a driver eat the handle on a regular cinch so we switched, but here's my opinion of them: they are SLOW, they bind up with dirt & road spray, freeze up in winter use & you have to be careful when tightening because if the chain gives slack you will overextend your elbow. When being used on logging roads you better pack lots of spray lube cause you'll need it to get them loose.That being said, I like them better when tying down rubber tired machines or loads that have no give at all. jmho

  67. #67Deerehauler2009-04-04 22:44

    I do exclusively local hauling--it is a rarity for me to be more than 120 miles from home. I average 350 miles per day so that is a LOT of loading and unloading. I use snap boomers mainly for the time I save. I am VERY careful with them and I am the ONLY one who chains or unchains things on my truck. So far no problems. I also wire the handles but the wire gets to be a pain after a while. I have been thinking about making a small clevis that would go over the handle and be pinned through the chain when the load is secured. This would eliminate the wire problem and would be very secure and quick. If we get another spring blizzard I may get a little time to come up with a prototype.

  68. #68colson042020-09-06 18:07

    Glad there's a search feature on this site. I know this is an old thread. I was just about to make a new thread asking this same question, but I would have just been beating a dead horse again. I have snap binders, all I've ever known. Recently, my uncle suggested I get some ratchet binders for hauling equipment. I do need a couple more binders, and I'm debating if the extra cost is worth it to pick up ratchet binders. I've really never had a problem with snap binders, and I'm well aware of the hazards of using snap binders. Certainly not something I need to buy tonight, just something I'm wanting to add to my trailer box for future use.

  69. #69mitch5042020-09-06 18:40

    Well, why not get ratchets, then you'll have both. They each have their good points.

  70. #70Willie B2020-09-06 19:34

    I have two know it all sons. One insists that cam binders are not DOT legal. The other refuses to use ratchet binders. Oh well! I have 16 binders. This means I can usually find at least four.

  71. #71Pops522020-09-06 19:49

    I keep both. Ratchets have their place. I keep them lubed and use them on everything till I need a "hard" binder where there is no room to move a ratchet handle. I usually make 4-6 moves a day.

  72. #72farmerlund2020-09-06 20:12

    Perless ratcheting binder www.peerlesschain.com/products/QuikBinder-Plus-Ratchet-Loadbinders/ I was like you only had snap binders. Started getting a few ratcheting ones and really liked them. Don't get the cheap red ones. Start with these peerless ones. They dont fall apart when you make them long. plus the ratchet mechanism works 3 times nicer.

  73. #73_Weldman_2020-09-07 00:12

    Thanks for waking this thread up, forgot I need to buy some for one of my loads headed to MT. Have two 1/2" snap binders, but DOT requires 4 for 10k lbs or more and I don't know what this tractor weighs. Maybe little less than 10k but nice to have extra for future use. Now I just need a couple steer tires and I should be set.

  74. #74Tugger22020-09-07 00:21

    A bad thing with ratchets is when guys just undo enough to cut them loose and you have to wind them out next time before you use them.I always try and wind them right out for next time. Thats being nit picky i know.( the ones with stops in them so they dont fall apart when you unwind them are best) . All that said i agree both have their place.

  75. #75Don.S2020-09-07 08:43

    Maybe i am the odd guy but i have a spray can of oil and oil them once a week and spin my binders closed after every use. It only takes a few seconds to spin them open and closed and by doing that is keeps them clean and always the two threaded parts at the same length. Its really fast if you just leave one side attached to the trailer and hold the other side and spin it around. I will often load and unload a little 8 ton machine three times a day.

  76. #76Old Doug2020-09-07 21:51

    I haul alot of junk cars by stacking them 2 high tying them down with snap binders. It takes 2 first one pulls the slack then with out removing the first one use another on top of the first then when the first is lose move it a link and retighten keep doing this and you can cut a car in to. I have never been hurt or know any one that has been but exstream care needs to be used when they are tight. I use one of those open end bars and just kick it lose. You can get one of these bars free but that is very dangerus to flat bed drivers throw them off there trailers just past were they loaded last. I wanted one so one day going to KC Mo i kept a eye out the first 2 were black i wanted the more rare red one on they way out there was a red one just were it left the trailer. That has been close to 30 years ago now i have still have that faded red bar.

  77. #77Steve Frazier2020-09-07 21:59

    I've always used snap binders, I'm aware of their danger and give them full respect. I've always hauled rubber tired machines to this point but now have a mini ex to haul and find that with the snap binders the chain is too loose but too tight to get another link. Rachet binders would eliminate this problem.

  78. #78Old Doug2020-09-07 22:04

    I get the crap scared out of me one time. New guy at work we were going to unload a trailer that wasnt on a truck it had a removeable neck that had to be chained up if not on a truck. it was seating behind a crane so me and anther guy was going to move some stuff then unload the trailer we told new guy to unchain the load but we forgot about the neck chain. We heard a crash and both of us knew what happen and figured he was died. I didnt want to look but some how he was ok.

  79. #79motoOzarks2020-09-08 00:12

    If you haul enough having both will come in handy........

  80. #80DMiller2020-09-08 05:37

    Have used both and own both where both have a place of use. Prefer ratchet binders to over center flip binders. Know two that have lost teeth one broken nose several close calls where the user was taking flip over too tight initially ‘saving time’ Anytime take a shortcut are setting that stage for failure.

  81. #81Flat Thunder Channel2020-09-08 08:24

    I do not have much experience with either, but I will say I dislike the cam over center binders. Everytime I use them I have difficulty achieving the desired clamping force. It's usually too loose or ungodly tight. It could just be my lack of experience encouraging the issues. My typical loading practice is to chain the front and ratchet strap the vehicle/equipment towards the rear of the trailer. I prefer using big ratchet straps on almost everything, but will be buying some ratcheting chain binders in the future. I think my ratchet straps work fine, but would like a couple chain binders for the heavy/dirty stuff. I like those peerless units someone posted. The folding handle looks convenient, but what keeps them from loosening? Typically the handle rests on the deck to help lock them from unscrewing?

  82. #82kshansen2020-09-08 08:57

    Just doing a quick read on this subject reminded me of the time an outfit came to pick up a used Symonds Cone crusher the company sold. Forget what model it was but they were loading it in a shipping container and it just fit side to side so that gives you an idea it wasn't something that you could put in the back of an F-250! I was the one running the overhead crane to put it in from the top. As I recall they blocked up the four corners on wooden blocks the proceeded to put on the ratchet straps to hold it in place. To be generous I would say they were maybe 1 1/2 wide straps and one pulling in each of four directions! No one in the shop said anything as I believe we had been told to only load it as requested. Well I know there were some exchanges of looks but nothing said till the truck left the shop. Never heard anything after it left the quarry but several of us said we hoped the driver didn't have to touch the brakes too hard on the way to where he was going. Also hoped for smooth sailing on the container ship it was going on. I know if that load was only going to the other side of the quarry it would have had good strong chains and binders holding on the truck if not bolted to the work frame built out of eight inch pipe and bolted on cross braces.

  83. #83Old Doug2020-09-08 20:02

    I had to put some stuff in shipping containers before. One time we put a jaw crusher in one it just fit very tight took all day to load it and when the doors would close that was it. I wondered what the driver thought that came and got it and if it made it were ever it was headed over seas. Another time we shipped a compresser,drill and alot of spare parts. I loaded 1 container with the compresser and spare parts then the drill went in another one i think it had to be taken apart. We had a lot of 1/4 cable that we used to secure them with.

  84. #84Tugger22020-09-08 22:28

    1/4" cable probably works the best with those tie down lugs they hide in the corners of the containers. I shipped one of my cranes from Montreal out to the Coast . I was ordered by the railway to pay these guys to tie it down . I had to step in when they wanted to weld my nicely stacked boom sections together.My comprimise to them was to pull the pins and slide some easy fit round bar thru them and tack stoppers to the bar. Back then it was 4 grand for them to do what i do all the time.

  85. #85Don.S2020-09-08 23:02

    Ya but the Montreal tax had to be made somewhere so that those guys could give a brown envelope to someone for the work they recieved from you. Or so i have heard that is how it works there.

  86. #86ac7152020-11-24 00:39

    I use 10 snap binders for the 14,000 pound backhoe. 1 on each corner, 2 in the middle, 2 on each bucket. Assume good body position, only pull down to tighten, don't stand on the trailer, and don't stand in line. Then repeat as needed with a full face helmet with Lexan over the small oval eye hole for final pulldown. I'm not in any hurry.

  87. #87Willie B2020-11-24 07:26

    I'm not a fan of snap binders. They work OK on rubber tired equipment, but on a crawler they seem always to be too loose or too tight. I've a good friend, trucking machines & marble is a part of his duties in a family excavating business. We were once on the school board together. He showed up one night looking like somebody had beat him with a piece of pipe. He was chaining a block of marble. Put his foot on a tire using a cheater pipe. I don't know what slipped, the end of the pipe took him full in the face. It was NOT a pretty sight! Ratchet binders are slow, but they have a lot more travel. One can stop & check after a few miles & give them a little more tighten.

  88. #88skyking12020-11-26 01:37

    I'm kinda the opposite. I use ratchets these days, but I do like snaps on iron equipment. Things on rubber, they loosen up so the ratchets are nice for pulling over after a couple of miles and just tightening a bit. I took a hit almost 30 years ago from a cheater on a double stack of trench boxes. They had tightened up going down the road instead of loosening. I found a real cheater that lets go properly on the side of the highway. I'll use my snap binders too. https://www.lodimetals.com/40-combi...lU42Win1uDRVQw5JPgIWNq8ShsM9YW7RoCkWoQAvD_BwE

  89. #89Tags2020-11-26 12:29

    The risk of getting hurt, not worrying about having a cheater pipe, and the ability to easily snug something up if it gets loose, has made me change over to all ratchet binders for the last 25 years, I have yet to stop and say "Boy, I wish I had a snap binder". If someone thinks it takes "too long" to tighten a ratchet binder, you should probably find another line of work.

  90. #90RollOver Pete2020-11-27 17:26

    A carefully placed snap binder to the lip is when I decided to grow a mustache.

  91. #91DMiller2020-11-27 17:39

    Know of several that have lost teeth to the old snap binders. Luckily I only suffered bruised and banged up hands using them.

  92. #92Krackerjack92020-12-12 05:16

    Several companies will only let you use ratchet binders only, Exxon is one of them if your on the property and have those snap binders they wont let you use them to secure anything

  93. #93Pops522020-12-12 10:31

    I suppose they have that right. I'm not sure I like someone telling me how to use my tools though........

  94. #94Mother Deuce2020-12-12 11:06

    Broke a imported snap tying a 977 to the trailer. Binder to track short chain to trailer. I memorably drove my right index finger into the trailer rail with the binder jack at about the speed of sound. Broke my finger in three places and the last bit of it looked like something that had taken quick ride in the cuisinart. Turned into a ratchet fan nearly instantly. The treatment was worse than the injury on top of it.

  95. #95Pops522020-12-12 12:45

    A related story, early 80s, my co worker & I were moving a drilling rig. Parked side by side we were chaining down pipe bins. I threw a 20' x 5/16 over the top while John was yelling something. I looked his way and when I looked back toward my chain, the hook came rolling back over the load. (It was noisy and I didnt hear the chain) Hook hit me on the upper lip, broke my right frontal off and knocked me right to the ground. Bleeding profusely from the split lip. Held it tight with 1 hand and paper towels and headed off the hill. 72 pete, no power steering, 5x4. ALWAYS keep your eye on the chain!!

  96. #96Jimothy2022-01-02 16:35

    we only use ratcheting for equipment just cuz if we tie down the load at our site and it get sent somewhere else we don’t know where or who will be unloading it we’ve had guys get hurt from the snappers ( luckily not bad ) we only use them for specialty situation where we have to support utility lines and other things that might be tied up for longer but not moving equipment

  97. #971693TA2022-01-02 16:48

    I use both a lot. Usually with rubber tired equipment that "wiggles", I'll use ratchet types. Most times I use the snap binders but I do use the extension handle designed for use with them like shown here: https://www.amazon.com/DC-Cargo-Mall-Combination-Flatbeds/dp/B088P5P4PQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=21XH4ACKMCI9T&keywords=chain+binder+bar&qid=1641159852&sprefix=chain+binder+bar%2Caps%2C260&sr=8-4 . Never have had one "pop me", but I'm not one to go for the "Nth" degree of tightness. Don't mind throwing another one on if I question the securement of the load. I've never lost anything so may be doing something correct.

  98. #98suladas2022-01-02 18:26

    I'm amazed snap binders aren't outlawed everywhere. They are of no benefit and are way more dangerous, haven't used one in at least 10 years and would never use one again, no reason to. While it's annoying having to lube up the ratchets every once in awhile it's well worth it to ensure stuff is tied down better and it's a lot safer.

  99. #99DMiller2022-01-02 18:27

    Still have a purpose and are still common especially among the Metals Haulers.

  100. #1001693TA2022-01-02 18:37

    These are the binders I have which were "gifted" to me from a dear departed friend. I have a dozen: https://www.amazon.com/Peerless-Rat...2&sprefix=ratchet+chain+binder,aps,132&sr=8-5 These are the less expensive type of ratchet binder commonly available: https://www.amazon.com/EI004-Ratche...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl These are the much less expensive "snap", or "Over Center" binders which are still very commonly used. The price point is a very large draw citing the profit margin that exists, (industry wide) in the trucking business: https://www.amazon.com/Mytee-Produc...6449&sprefix=chain+snap+binder,aps,120&sr=8-3

  101. #101skyking12022-01-02 18:50

    I have 3 or 4 of them in the tongue of the 20 ton. I can't remember when i used them last, but it is one of those things I won't toss.

  102. #102Shimmy12022-01-02 21:49

    Completely agree. (No offense DMiller)

  103. #103DMiller2022-01-03 04:37

    None taken.

  104. #104Flat Thunder Channel2022-01-03 06:47

    I really like the Peerless ratcheting load binders. I bought 4 after learning about them on the forum. No turning back now! They are amazingly easy to use and user friendly to boot. Plan to add an additional 2-4 units to my trailer stash. The collapsing handle makes them easy to apply in tight places and allows them to stow more orderly.

  105. #1051693TA2022-01-03 07:15

    I've been told to place a padlock in the security holes on the Peerless binders. These have a way of disappearing at the truck stops being both expensive, and desirable. I only use mine locally and don't have that problem, but I understand theft is an issue.

  106. #106skyking12022-01-03 09:33

    Those look nice. I built this chain and binder rack about 15 years ago. It is a chunk of 3" angle iron, I drilled the holes in the drill press and slotted them with the porta-band, extended it on the bottom back to the tongue frame, then welded on that 3" strap with the hinges. It only keeps honest people honest but far better than nothing.

  107. #1071693TA2022-01-03 09:52

    I like that real well. Like you said it helps a person stay honest and a good way to do it.

  108. #108colson042022-01-03 10:45

    That is a slick set up and nicely organized.

  109. #109JLarson2022-01-04 02:39

    Hate snaps, seen way too many near misses or hits with them, we won't use them. Plus you can use a ratchet for a lot of stuff.

  110. #110DMiller2022-01-04 05:40

    Snap overs still have uses where ratchets will work but are not as efficient. Again steel haulers will see more snap overs than ratchet types. Get load on and flip a few chains/binders and go.

  111. #111suladas2022-01-05 00:49

    Sure snaps are a bit cheaper, but I figure the math let's say a big trucking company has 1000 binders save $30 a piece, that would probably all vanish plus a lot more in the event 1 employee gets seriously hurt by a snap binder. They are fine if used properly, but these days people can hurt themselves with a paperclip. Considering how common sense is pretty much gone, it baffles me companies would take a risk like that. I would bet with 4 binders you would not save 30 seconds tying down, if mine are lubed up they go on and off in a flash and the biggest benefit is they stay tight but not too tight, snap are laser tight or too loose most of the time. Honestly surprised they haven't been outlawed yet.

  112. #112JLarson2022-01-05 01:35

    Yeah I still see the occasional small hauler running snaps but I think most places have figured out cost of buying a guy a new face makes the ratchets much more appealing lol.

  113. #113Georgia Iron2023-02-28 11:38

    I use snap binders. I have been hurt once thought I could open one that had been tightened with a cheater pipe. Thought I could not use my thumb and let it open fast with an open hand. It hit my plam and hurt for a week. Another time my wet oily gloves slipped of the cheater pipe and it threw the cheater pipe 75' away and almost landed on a car..

  114. #114Tugger22023-03-01 11:59

    Ill use the ratchets 90% of the time. But i keep few snaps on the truck because theres a few places they just work better. I use a good cinch bar ,not a pipe so when you let them go they flip free from the bar. Ive seen accidents with them,usually from trying reef them down instead of dropping a link. Funny thing is ive seen some with Hand Tight Only cast into the handle.

  115. #115Acoals2023-03-02 21:39

    I won't have anything to do with snap binders. None. None in the shop, none on the trucks. Maybe they have a use somewhere but I haven't seen it.

  116. #116DMiller2023-03-03 04:48

    Still have two have not gotten rid of, backups only and not used for a long time.

  117. #117Flat Thunder Channel2023-03-03 06:23

    I was so smitten with my first set of peerless racheting chain binders and ended up buying an additional set. I have eight now and they are awesome! The folding arm allows you to work them into tight quarters. It's the only way for me!

  118. #1181693TA2023-03-03 07:07

    I delivered two new tractors, and brought one in for service yesterday using snap binders only. Nothing wrong with them if used correctly and the right leverage bar is used to break them over. I made it clear I would not use a cheater bar or pipe so they furnished/ordered a "Kinedyne" bar I picked out to work with both the binders, and winch strap ratchets. I keep the chains, binders, leverage bar, clevises, etc. locked up when not in use to preclude theft. I did discard the binder(s) that had bent handles from too much force being applied with an ill fitting pipe after cutting them with a torch as I'm not going to offer an invitation to an idiot to hurt themselves. I have a combination of the Peerless brand, and conventional ratcheting binders for my own trailer along with several snap binders. I've used them all over the years and all have their plusses, and minuses when used. Keep them clean, oiled, and painted up goes a long way at the scalehouses too.

  119. #119cuttin edge2023-03-04 09:14

    I don't think the company owns anything but snap binders. A lot of them have a hinged handle. When you release them, the handle is already hinged halfway. Our float man never over tightens anything. He says it's not how tight you put it, it's where you put it. I notice the company that does the pulverizing and asphalt milling for us have both types of binders on their trucks. For a short haul, they use the snap binders, and for a long haul, they use the ratchet type.

  120. #120skyking12023-03-04 11:30

    the ratchets are nice for that mid-trip tightening.

  121. #121Keith Merrell2023-03-04 20:21

    I have used both styles of binder. Ratcheting is far superior when compared on paper. They both hold the load. If you can't operate a lever binder safely, you shouldn't be calling yourself a driver...

  122. #122JaredV2023-09-05 23:47

    Anybody have any opinions on doing this on the highway? I do it all the time moving stuff through the woods but cross chain on public roads. Sure is quick and easy.

  123. #123Krackerjack92023-09-06 01:00

    I know several places will not let you use snap binders, Exxon will not even let you in the facility if you have a load with snap binders holding it down, most insurance companies dont allow them as well

  124. #124DMiller2023-09-06 04:07

    Dependent of machine size and weight, can define if requires two each side each end and if needs chain secured cross machine each end. Will still require securement of boom arm or blade of machine as a current requirement.

  125. #125JaredV2023-09-06 07:59

    Right, I understand that. I'm just wondering if the DOT would care if they saw ratchet binders being used this way as long as there are enough.

  126. #1261693TA2023-09-06 08:07

    I've hauled a lot of tracked equipment including my own as you've shown and not had problems. Combinations of chains, and direct binding also. Just ensure you have enough in quantity, or go overkill on the number of binders as that's what they seem to look for mostly.

  127. #127skyking12023-09-06 09:05

    the only gripe there is that it is pulling out.

  128. #128DMiller2023-09-06 09:52

    Agree, are some situations Out is only available, DOT boys do prefer seeing In sets.

  129. #129Shimmy12023-09-06 22:21

    What difference does that make?

  130. #130DMiller2023-09-07 06:24

    Ask the DOT boys, it is they that argue that moot point. Regardless if hang a chain to a Boomer across a machine it is still essentially pulling ‘Out’ some trailers have no to center option for chaining just the side rail where either boomer or chain and boomer to that outer edge cross machine or just off a track is still the same.