Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

RB auction pics. can be deceiving

Welder Dave ยท 2026-09-30 00:29

I recently bought a few items at the Ritchie Bros. auction in Nisku. One was a ripper tooth that looked small enough for a midi size excavator. I bid $300 and got it. Of course I had to pay a $100 min. buyers fee. I was more delighted with my purchase when I went to pick it up. It was built in 2023 and can't have been used much. It has a new tooth too. It's 30" long and 1 1/2" thick with Welco 120-160 series wedge coupler ears. A little big for the backhoe on my 931B but I think will work good for ripping out roots and smaller stumps. Apparently it's a high end brand made in Manitoba, Riverside Welding and Design. I think a new ripper would cost $2500 or more. It's built very strong with big gussets. Apparently made with Strenx 700 steel according their website. Maybe it looked too small to other bidders? Very happy with my purchase. Now just to make mounts for my backhoe. I'll keep the existing ears in case I ever want to sell it. Definitely not junk like some people think of RB's auctions.

Replies5
  1. #1aighead2026-09-30 06:32

    I mean, it's got the pallet for scale, that' thing is huge to me! Looks good and seems about like scrap price!

  2. #2IceHole2026-09-30 14:00

    I did that once with a pressure washer cart. Looked to be "normal" size... yeah, it barely fit on my 8x12ft flatbed.

  3. #3Welder Dave2026-09-30 16:37

    The pic. on RB's made it look like it was for a mini excavator because it was just sitting on the ground with nothing for size reference. I thought it might be too small. I put it on a pallet so it wouldn't damage my truck. When the loader operator brought it over to put on the trailer I was shocked how big it was. The ears are 1" thick! I'll have to be really careful with it being so long on my backhoe but think it will work good if I take small bites. I could cut it shorter but that would be a real shame. I'm leaving the ears on so it's easier to sell if I decide to at some point.

  4. #4aighead2026-10-01 06:28

    Be careful, you may flip over the world!

  5. #5Welder Dave2026-10-01 15:06

    I will definitely have to be extremely careful with it so I don't damage the hoe. I've read conflicting recommendations on how big a backhoe ripper tooth should be. Anywhere from around 16" to 29". Cat has a 25" listed for backhoes which is probably a good choice. Was reading it's best to keep the stick closer to vertical and use the bucket cylinder to curl the ripper rather than pull the ripper through the ground with the stick.