Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Re-clocking A/C compressor – Cat 289D

Brianc383 · 2024-06-03 20:46

SN: TAW02381 2015 Cat 289D I’ve been going through the new-to-me 289D I recently bought. It’s currently got 2760 hours on it, 30-ish hours by me. I pulled the engine cover to check belts in detail and look at some relays back by the fuel tank that aren’t probably mounted. During the inspection, I noticed the mounting ear on the compress that holds the belt adjusting bracket on is missing. The PO moved the OEM bracket over to the next ear and just left it. It is currently not bolted to the engine at all. The belt is only tensioned by the lower mounting bolt. My question is, can I pull the clutch and pulley then proceed to rotate the front part of the compressor (much like an alternator) without opening the AC system up? The system works great currently with zero complaints. Thanks, Brian

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2024-06-03 21:12

    What exactly is missing.?

  2. #2Brianc3832024-06-03 22:51

    The mounting ear where (5,1) are located. That bracket is now bolted to the ear at the 10:00 position in that picture.

  3. #3Nige2024-06-03 23:39

    If those 5 fasteners that are visible on the back cover in my illustration go all the way through the compressor you're not going to be able to turn it by 90 degrees.

  4. #4Brianc3832024-06-04 06:52

    I’d have to turn it 180 to have it fit properly. I’ll leave it as is and we’ll figure something else out. I may just laser cut a new bracket for the block. I’ll look tonight to see if that’s possible.