Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Read 40

sllimec47 · 2021-12-01 18:30

Hi, looking to get a used Read 40 or equivalent type. Does anyone have an opinion on what I should be spending? The pricing seams to be all over the place. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1dieseldog5.92022-01-16 15:25

    Seems 30G for one that is in decent shape, 25 for one that needs all new screens and such.

  2. #2RGProducts2022-05-11 12:10

    We have a Read 40 and I’m trying to find out what the best secondary screen would be for topsoil. Any recommendations?

  3. #3Tags2022-05-11 20:23

    All depends on how wet the soil is. A 1/2 is great, but if it’s wet it'll just gum up the lower screen. I have used a 3/4” lower and a 2 1/2-3” top screen, lots of pebbles. I’ve had pretty good success with a lower harp screen too. No matter what you use wet soil will be a PIA. Are you using for your own jobs or selling it?

  4. #4RGProducts2022-05-13 07:37

    Soil has been stockpiled for a while and should be quite dry. I was looking at using a 5/8 on bottom and have a 2” on top. I was curious about the difference/benefits between the standard woven(square) and slotted(harp?) styles. Is one better than another for topsoil? I have a bunch of soil from building my driveway and workshop, so I plan to sell it, not use it(not much anyway). Thanks for the response!

  5. #5dieseldog5.92023-01-07 18:40

    All the guys I am familiar with use the elongated bottom screen, 1/2 inch.