Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rear axle build (big ford in Cat-426 1st series) 07 mystery piece to install

towbar ยท 2026-08-23 07:17

When I first removed this axle I gave the job to a pro shop who initiated the stripping by removing the left axle assembly with the housing. What they saw was a horror show so I took it all back home including a parts bin of pieces so far removed. One of those pieces was this, so I think it came from the left but have no idea whatsoever! Where and how to install it? It has two mounting holes and I could probably find the 2 screws in the bin also but I almost need a picture showing it installed ...and knowing what it actually does would help too It is #24 in this diagram (attached to another thread) but it doesn't show much by way of illustration 'as installed'. HeavyEquipmentForums

Replies2
  1. #1towbar2026-08-23 08:27

    I found where it goes and thank God there's only one way to install it on the left axle housing, but I stilll don't know what it is, does, or how it does it. The missing disks above was a mistake, all disks stripped accounted for.

  2. #2towbar2026-08-23 16:04

    Google's AI coughed this up: Why It Is Engineered This Way The left axle housing must support the thrust block because the massive backward-shoving forces (thrust load) generated by the bevel gears during heavy digging are pushed towards the left side of the machine. By anchoring the block directly into the rigid frame flange of the left axle housing, the machine utilizes the structural weight and thickness of the entire left axle tube to counteract gear deflection, keeping the ring gear perfectly straight under peak loads. The disassembly procedure makes this piece the first to be removed from the left axle assembly after its separation from the differential assembly seated in the center housing. It's also the last to be installed so one can presume that during final mating in reverse order of the above this piece is structurally aligned in contact or almost in contact with the back side of the differential ring gear. Does this sound like a good assumption (I hate assumptions)?