I'm looking at fabricating a really nice rear bumper for my Kubota svl90, with a hitch mainly to drag around small trailers around fence line with my welding equip, unroll wire on fences, etc...and just added protection. I wanted to see some pics of anything y'all might have whether it's from a dealer, or custom. And what you like, or would change about what you have...things to think about while building etc. Thank you!
CNH makes an optional rear hitch for their SSL/CTLs....I got my NH L220 with one, then added a double 2" receiver tube & some eye nuts. Check out post # 4 at my thread HeavyEquipmentForums Whatever you fabricate, I would recommend including a receiver hitch tube. It makes the hitch WAY more useful. On mine, it allows me to add a receiver-tube mounted electric winch to the back (also swapped between my utility tractor & pickup). See post # 63 in the same thread noted above. Also, here are some other ideas/pictures HeavyEquipmentForums As I've always maintained, I can't imagine why more/all OEMs don't offer an optional rear hitch, or at least include bolt-on attach points. Please post some pics of what you come up with!! Good luck!!
When you figure out what you want it would only make sense to fab two of them up...if you know what I mean.
JNB makes a good point here ! Always a good idea to help out your neighbor....
Yeah I'm sure we can figure out something for 2 of them. I want to spend time on it and fab it really nice. Very custom, some redneck pos lol. That stuff is only good for ideas and building something perfect. I'll def have a receiver on it for a hitch or to build other things to carry on the back end. Rolls of Barbed Wire come to mind to pull lines for fences. Will have to wait till I have some time. But I'm gathering ideas, pics, etc and will go from there.
Saw one on a T870. Looked like it was made of 4" pipe. Pivoted on one side and pinned on the other so it would swing open to access door/motor. Had a large winch built into it. Wish I would have saved a picture of it.
Local dealer had a used SVL-90 with a rear guard made out of heavy 4x2 tubing. It was contoured to match the rear door and opened just like the rear door. Really looked nice wish I woulda took a pic. It had the uprights on each side the same height as door then I think 4 cross members that were angled to match the door. The guard bolted on the left hand side with hinges. It looked almost factory.
That would've been cool to see lol.
JS, is this the guard you're referring to? This dealer has them on a few of their brush cutter and mulcher specific rentals that also have lexan doors. They're also equipped with a heavy foot plate where the foot cleanout is. Seems that a small tree trunk poked it's way up through there and injured the operator. The only problem they've had with the rear guard design is the hinges taking too much of the force and getting tweaked. The result is a nice guard that won't open.
Very close. The one I saw wasn't as bulky and looked a little cleaner. That is a nice guard in the pic though. I'm really wanting a new SVL-90/95 but just don't know. I only use my Case for personal use and hate to spend 65k when the old Case is working fine. Hope you like your new machine.
Rear guard See attached pics of of ASV RC 85/RC100 rear guard. It is 2 inch OD tube but it is too thin a wall. I would recomend 1 !/2" schedule 80 Seamless pipe. It will be a close to 2 inch OD. The hinges are home made and use tractor pins for hinge pins. The pins fit 3/4 inch schedule 80 pipe fairly snug but loose enough to get in and out.
Thanks for the info and ideas. I'm hoping maybe I'll have a little time in a few months to get something put together.
I built this guard / bumper/ winch carrier several years ago and has served me fine to date. I know its only a 16.5 warn rather than a hydraulic unit but it has freed my posi several times.
Looks good. How and where did you attach it?
Under the winch base is a 2"square tube that slides in and is bolted into the machines factory receiver. Also each corner is bolted to the structure that secures the factory brush guard. I can take and send some detailed pictures later if that will help.
What about building a ripper and then you can fit a winch and/or tow hitch to that. That way you get the best of all worlds. Just an idea
More detailed pictures would be much appreciated. Thank you
Checkout the Boar Tyne ripper. It can be purchased off the shelf
A couple more pictures of the positrack winch mount.
Thanks for the detail. Looks good and sure helps from flatening the round tubes. ASV has a kit to put a screen on the bottom side of the pre cleaner and rais it up about 6 inches. It really helps. It is toward the end of the parts book either under kits or forestry on Track Loader Parts. One thing I have found about the RC series is that the AC is impossible to keep running.
Yes, I agree. The AC never did seem to be an efficient system. I ended up mounting a blower on the roof of the cab that ducts fresh air in. Found an adjustable vent in the junk yard that directs air where needed for personal comfort. I believe the blower and some well placed foam pieces around the controls and seat base go a long way to minimize dust in the cab. The blower came from MacBone Industries, 888-622-2663. It moves enough air to stay comfortable in the FL summer heat.
I wondered about the big box on top. It should go a long way toward keeping the dust down. I am going to check it out
Just a word of caution about at winch. If it's a Warn winch don't ever dead pull it. They have a real bad habit of smashing the break. Super Winch is probably a better type to use. Just my experance and 2 bobs worth.
Thanks for all the great input and pics, I haven't had quite enough time to start on mine but gathering some good info. I'll prob start doing some renderings of a style I'm thinking of. I know I'll have a receiver but still debating if I want to actually mount the winch direct to it.
I was back at the dealer today and they had a skid with the same guard I mentioned earlier I snapped a few pics. After looking again it looks nearly identical to the one JNB posted.
How do you access the engine for daily service?
It looks like it has some lynch pins on the left side that you'd remove and I would hope there is a hinge on the right so you could swing it outta the way, if not, I hope the operator has got a strong back....
Yep had lynch pins and hinges. There were two SVL 90's there. One with a mulcher and one with a grapple. Looked just like my nieghbors rigs he might have traded. One in pic had mulcher and 595 hrs. They also had one with just a bucket that was in really good shape. I've been wanting to trade up but just committed to a hay barn, probably need to wait.
I see the pegs and lynch pins on the left side now that you have pointed them out.