Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rear Sway/Lock-Up Cylinders are..locked up

DougC ยท 2017-12-15 08:12

I am still new to the wonderful world of hydraulics so please bear with me. I have a 2002 Terex TH1056C S/N: 024354. When operating, the right front and left rear tires will not maintain contact with the ground. I have found that the sway cylinders in the front are working as they should be but the rear sway cylinders are locked up. I have pulled hoses and made sure there is fluid at the hoses. Both of the rear cylinders have been leaking oil and coming down the chrome rods. I can't see any other problem that would cause this. What would someone suggest for me to do next to identify the problem?

Replies4
  1. #1Knepptune2017-12-15 08:34

    If your boom is raised above a certain angle or scoped out to far it locks the rear sway. It's gonna have two proxy switches that tell it where the boom is at. Check those and check the valve that locks those up. Go to genielift.com and pull up the manual for your machine. If they don't have the manual for terex just use the genie manual. They're the same machine. Only difference is the model is gonna be GTH1062.

  2. #2DougC2017-12-15 08:40

    I cleaned the limit switch on the boom and its contacts. I raised the boom until the sway control button no longer worked and then lowered it. The boom is pulled all the way in. I have been using the manuals on the site for our Terex and Genie telehandlers and it is a great source of information on them. I do not see any other switches that seem like they would affect the rear cylinders. I am stumped. Thank you for your response!

  3. #3Knepptune2017-12-15 12:35

    Check the valve and the solenoid on the valve. Trace the hoses coming from the sway cylinder and you'll find the valve. Make sure the solenoid is getting juice and that the valve is working.

  4. #4DougC2017-12-15 12:42

    Thanks, Knepptune. I have found some troubleshooting in a manual off of genielift.com. I have checked for power at the limit switch and that is working. At the solenoid, there is supposed to be no power unless the boom is over 60 degrees. That is also good. The valve is not supposed to be powered at this point. Now I am trying to find which hoses on the rear lock-up manifold on the rear axle are at port 1 and port 2. I am supposed to hook those two together and, if the rear cylinders work, the lock-up valve at the tank is bad. Thanks for your response!