Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rebuilding cat pilot controls.

Desertwheeler ยท 2014-08-02 00:45

How hard is it to rebuild the pilot controls on my 226b2? I had the drive control replaced an the bucket controls leaks too and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Is it something I could do with basic tools or should I just opt for a new pilot control assembly?

Replies3
  1. #1caterpillarmech2014-08-02 08:15

    I always replace as there always seems to be a time constraint on what I do.

  2. #2Desertwheeler2014-08-02 09:13

    The shop that did it said between parts and labor it was easier to just replace. But I'm thinking now about just doing it myself if the rebuild parts are cheap enough.

  3. #3Nige2014-08-02 10:03

    Here's an illustration of a typical pilot valve for a 226B - it may not be for your particular machine but it will give you an idea. Prices ....... Complete Valve - $775. Universal Joint Kit #3 - $135. Plunger Kit #5 - $145. Pilot Valve Kit #6 - $50. Seal Kit #7 - $135. Seal Kit #8 - $45. So as you can see if you replaced all the parts in the seal kits it would set you back $510 compared to a new valve at $775. Of course it may well be that your pilot valve does not need all the seals. If you were paying normal labour rates I'd guess it would be uneconomic to repair compared to replace, however if your time's your own then you could save yourself a bit of cash.