Trying to track the last bearing down to make a full set for our d353 Odd bearing that are no longer made by cat or miba. It's a 25 over 25 under main. We have a full set of new bearings minus this last one. The number is 1n4329. Seeing if we cant find this bearing we located a shop that says they can rebuild bearings if the shells are okay. They offer a polymer coating that says it boosts the strength of the bearing. Has anyone heard of this or done this ?
Several listings for rebuilding on Google. https://www.scheererbearing.com/uploads/pdfs/Scheerer_Bearing_Rebuild_Recondition.pdf
How many do you need..? Finning UK have 2 pairs of genuine Cat bearings available.
Needed one but found out we need two now as one was not available. Thanks for the info!
I know it's half a world away from you but at least it's the genuine article and it's available. This is the link to where I found it ........... http://www.finningusedparts.co.uk/bargainlist/
I sent them a email. I'm crossing my fingers they still have them. We found a few places listing them then they say sold out when we contact them. I would probably ship them from the moon if that was the case. We're seriously sweating finding these. We need to find a new block with standard mains after this.
If you don't get a reply to your mail please let me know. I'm in the UK on break right now and could easily call them.
.
Sorry I didn't see your msg till now. The time difference is a bit large. I haven't heard from them but I'll try give them a call tonight my time with should be first thing in the morning over there. If you have some free time and would like to give them a call for me feel free. I appreciate all the help. Thanks again.
I'll give them a bell tomorrow. Fingers crossed .....
Well I called them, and the guy I spoke to one the phone told me that he would have to contact the guys who "run the Bargain List in the States ". This gives me the mpression that the Bargain List is run by Cat from Peoria rather than being omething a specific dealer does to reduce inventory. I'll keep at them from this end but have you asked your local Cat Dealer about availability of these bearings..?
I've posted this before but I'll post it again in case it's any use to anyone in future. This is the company that officially buys Caterpillar's obsolete parts stock. www.vpartsinc.com
Thanks for helping track this down. I've called several dealers to check and they all give me the standard response. It's starting to seem like all of these bearings were used up.
Thanks I'll get in touch with them and see if they have any.
Also what about this idea. Someone was asking if I could run the 25 under crank side and standard block besring witch is available everwher. Them make up the 25 over with 12.5 shims on the block and cap. Glue and put a pin to hold them in. The idea of a shim makes me uneasy but in theory it seems to make sence. I know people shim rod bearings but haven't heard of a main.
Well as my first boss in the shop would say: "What would you do if you were out in the middle of the Sahara Desert and Rommel's tanks were coming over the sand dunes at you?". Point being if your life depended on something and you basically had no options one might choose to do one thing but in any other circumstance it might not be worth the risk. That said , there was a time we had an old Waukesha gas engine in a truck crane that spun a main bearing in the block. No oversize O.D. shells available for that and finding a good used block was also not easy to do. The solution to that problem was block was taken to machine shop with old guys still working there, they line bored that one main something like 1/4 inch over and then made a pair of inserts a little over 1/8 thick. These were then locked in the block with brass pins then the insert was bored to take a standard main bearing. Don't know how long it ran after that but never heard about it failing. Personally I would be a little uncomfortable with a thin shim behind a main bearing.
In the absence of the correct size bearing shells Ken's solution of a 1/8" thick insert in the block then bored back to standard size makes more sense. Where you might find a machine shop with an old school machinist capable of doing that work might be a little more difficult.
That sounds a bit safer then a thin shim. The idea never sat right when I was told it. Anyhow I managed to find a set of bearings that say they are 25 over under for a cat 353 marine. I'm not sure if it's the same bearing as it shows a different part number. But idk if it's just the old part number. The number is 6n1649, anybody have a idea on how I could cross these to see?
I think you just hit the jackpot ........... see below. 6N-1649 is an earlier number that services to 1N-4329. Unfortunately I can't access the Service Magazine listed below the new P/N, otherwise I could tell you what the update was.
Thanks for verifying that! We're gonna pay and have them ship them out. It's a parts supplier out of Russia ans the bearings are in a warehouse in florida. Makes sence for a marine bearing set. Well now we have a full brand new set of mains. This is the last set on earth for sure. She's only gonna have good oil I promis. Some lucas some marvel and filters and oil changes early. We're gonna be shopping for a standard core to rebuild. We need to get a n or r pretty soon.
Pantropic used to be the Cat marine engine dealer in Florida. In a former life I had quite a few dealings with them and engines they supplied/installed in all makes & manner of watercraft. What's the betting the parts are in their warehouse..?
I'll bet they are. It's a pretty small world. I'm just glad we can move on to the rest of the engine. Thanks again for the help!
Better get that dozer going fast as from the news it will be needed to open up some areas of the island!
Yeah tons of pee relocating. It's literally the worst timing on being down. But the island won't stop filling up till every lot is sold. It's the last cheap land in hawaii. The other islands are so expensive now it's insane. We're seeing lots thay once sold for 18k selling for 60k to 70k. I bought 3 acres for 35k and land five miles away is now selling for 177k per acre.
Gary, I got a call back from Finning today. The 2 pieces of 1N-4329 that were on the Bargain List are still available if you want them. Just let me know and I'll get a price for you, but they were talking about something like List Price minus 60%.
Could you check on the price. I ended up buying two from a Russian company for 300.00. We wouldn't mind buying up a few more, especially with a 60% mark down.
Hey Nige, did you ever get a chance to get ahold of them? Or do you have the contact number of the person you spoke to? Thanks, gary.