Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Recommend me a good cell phone mount

DIGNDEEP. · 2016-08-13 17:29

Hey everyone, so as the title states I'm looking for a good cell phone mounting bracket that will work well in most machines. I'm sure some of you have them!, I just need something that stops me from reaching all over the cab while I'm working, the closer to the controls the easier I'd be able to see calls, msgs etc, without digging around in my pocket or going through a tray.. or relying on the volume or vibrate to notify me. I miss too many important calls because of this. Needs to be versatile since I'm in many different machines during a shift sometimes. Needs to work with a Samsung galaxy S3 with an Otterbox case. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, I've looked around on google without much luck, thanks in advance!

Replies18
  1. #1GrainBinMan2016-08-13 18:27

    This is one that I use. You would need a solid flat surface for it to attach to. I have it in a pickup, so this is not the same as your application. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJUE8JO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Here is one that may work for you. It looks like it has a quick disconnect for a round bar. https://www.amazon.com/Gear-Beast-U...TF8&qid=1471127009&sr=1-48&keywords=ram+mount http://www.rammount.com/ is a good brand name. They would probably have something.

  2. #2hvy 1ton2016-08-13 20:07

    I have not used ram phone holders, but i have a tab-tite for my nexus 7 and love it. I have a handlebar mount, a cup holder mount and a suction cub mount depending on what running. Handlebar mount works great for monitor bars in tractors and such.

  3. #3DIYDAVE2016-08-13 20:15

    I'm old school, and have an ancient flip phone, which resides most of the time, in my right shirt pocket. I do have some of these, in the trucks: https://www.amazon.com/WizGear-Univ...133318&sr=8-10&keywords=magnetic+phone+holder When I'm on a tractor, I can't hear the damn thing ring, anyway, so it stays in the pocket. :thumbsup:thumbsup

  4. #4DIGNDEEP.2016-08-13 21:54

    Thanks!, you've definitely got me pointed in the right direction as far as using a quick connect for a round bar.. I think that would handle the constant vibration slightly better than a suction cup version ( at least it should) unless there's a very strong version of one. The next issue will be finding the right length of the arm from the mounting bracket to the actual phone holder.. most cabs are configured differently so it needs to reach at least the controls preferably next to the right hand arm of the operators seat. A lot that I see are pretty short and mainly meant for cars etc.. There must be something out there specifically for a heavy equipment application.

  5. #5caterpillarmech2016-08-14 08:12

    I use the nite ize steelie magnetic holder. It will attach to any metal object and according to one of my truck drivers, "It does hold at 70 miles an hour"! I have a ram mount for my ipad in the truck and just put a piece of 1" strap on the side for my phone. the magnet stays on your. I gave my ball to one of my other drivers as you can use it without it. amazon has some cheaper ones too that are just as good and you get more magnets

  6. #6Graham12016-08-14 12:33

    I have a Ram mount x grip with a suction base. Fits most phones and even portable radios. Easy to move from machine to machine and the suction grip is quality build. I have never had it fall off the window unlike cheaper suction mounts which were for ever falling off. Expensive, but you get what you pay for. I would recommend it without hesitation. Graham

  7. #7JDOFMEMI2016-08-22 22:52

    Some of my operators use hook and loop fasteners, AKA Velcro. Put the soft side on the back of the phone, and put the lhooks on each machine you need it on. It is cheap and works good.

  8. #8fast_st2016-08-23 07:05

    Going to second the Ram Mount X grip and then you can use a suction base and pick your length of 'arm' to go between the base and holder, Or you can get a flat mount and screw it someplace handy or a handlebar style mount and attach it to a control or a grab rail. http://www.gpscity.com/mounts The rubber covered aluminium ball mount is good at sucking up vibration and holding things exactly where you put them. 1 inch ball is the most common, there's now a 2 inch ball for laptops but its much less universal. I've never had any of their products fail in anything from a wheel loader to hammering a motorcycle along the trans-lab highway and beyond.

  9. #9old-iron-habit2016-08-23 09:47

    I pounded thru waves in the 80s and 90s using Ram Mounts on the navigation and fish finders toys. Still have one of the original ones on my pontoon. I never ever had a problem with them even in a salt water environment. I am going to order a handlebar mount for my MC for tablet use with the GPS. A nice feature is that you can buy different bases and mount them in whatever you like and just move the device holder and attachment arm to any of them.

  10. #10fast_st2016-08-23 13:03

    Indeed, there seems to be almost limitless combinations for the RAM system of mounting, each bike has 4 mounts on the bars so I have lots of flexibility.

  11. #11Stephen E2022-11-16 15:57

    New member trying to navigate this technology, I’m in a dozer all day, know of a phone mount that can withstand that and hold my phone, one of you guys have to have dealt with this?

  12. #12treemuncher2022-11-17 08:01

    Ram ball mounts. I have them mounted everywhere for every device that I use/need. GPScity.com usually has some of the best prices and selection. Otherwise, shop Ebay for deals. My Gamin Montana has a powered mount for all vehicle, including motorcycles, boats, auto, HE, and more. Get the larger ball mounts for heavier objects like tablets or laptops. The large X-grip works daily for my heavy phone without the need for the bands. They take the daily abuse of rough ground on a tracked mulcher. They withstand just about anything.

  13. #13Stephen E2022-11-17 08:33

    Alright, thanks for responding. Much appreciated

  14. #14Thirty5D2022-11-17 10:26

    Here’s another suggestion, the GUB phone holder. It’s made to mount on the handlebar of a bicycle or motorcycle but with some workshop creativity it could be mounted just about anywhere. They’re available in a number of different styles and cost about 20 bucks. The clamping is adjusted with a knurled thumbscrew. Aluminum construction. Here’s some photos of the “Plus 9” model.

  15. #15fast_st2022-11-17 13:06

    I have to favor the ram mounting system, limitless options and combinations. If your dozer should ever take lets say a 14 foot jump or hit 150mph, the ram mount will be intact and exactly how you left it. Some of the options fasten the ball with 1/4-20 bolts, so plenty of rugged

  16. #16JPV2022-11-17 14:53

    Can't go wrong with a ram mount but these work great and are far cheaper, the suction cup is awesome. I put them in everything, they work with a large variety of phones. https://www.amazon.com/VICSEED-Hands-Free-Dashboard-Windshield-Suction/dp/B085KXS3XZ/ref=sxin_21_pa_sp_phone_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.125faa20-955d-4203-89fd-d8565f914742:amzn1.sym.125faa20-955d-4203-89fd-d8565f914742&crid=15LD3OERVBMLF&cv_ct_cx=vicseed+car+phone+mount&keywords=vicseed+car+phone+mount&pd_rd_i=B085KXS3XZ&pd_rd_r=5bf6638c-7e98-4a9a-b9f9-b601d95ea714&pd_rd_w=BdTKV&pd_rd_wg=zw0Pu&pf_rd_p=125faa20-955d-4203-89fd-d8565f914742&pf_rd_r=8947RTWVR0KH83QPQ3WW&qid=1668715394&sprefix=vicseed+,aps,179&sr=1-16-bb4842f6-7db0-410d-8e58-ed475f3f7b54-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&psc=1

  17. #17AMBMike2022-11-24 19:11

    Late to the conversation here but I love the versatility of the RAM mount system. I purchased a large rubber covered magnet with 1/4-20 female threads and used a RAM mount ball designed for motorcycle handlebars. I've used this in a D6N dozer daily for the past two years on all kinds of dirt and rock and it's still going strong. It doesn't move and the rubber coated balls and a 6" arm seem to absorb the vibrations well.

  18. #18DIYDAVE2022-11-24 19:17

    Yeah, rubber coated balls helps out a lot on a dozer, specially on rocky ground. Problems start when you try to take the coating off, ootch eech!