Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Recommendations for a 25,000 – 30,000 lb excavator

Loggermc ยท 2011-10-13 01:16

This winter I will begin looking for a 25,000 - 30,000 lb excavator for use on our rural, forested property. For budget reasons I'll be looking for an early to mid 1990s machine. It won't get a ton of usage but will be used for a variety of project around our place. My problem is that I don't know what brands and specifically the numeric designations I should be looking for. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1roadrunner812011-10-13 11:47

    If I were looking for a machine in your parameters they would be as follows; 1 Hitachi 120, I think the vintage is a -3 2 John Deere 490 3 Komatsu 120 The machines in the 15T range are all well over 30,000lbs.

  2. #2Matty2011-10-13 15:03

    I have a Hitachi EX120-5 (2000) on my property and it does everything I need it to. I love the machine and I take good care of it so it has done the same for me.

  3. #3sultan2011-10-13 17:02

    Cat 312s are also good. They're very quick and capable machines for their size, and are my favourite in that size class.

  4. #4xcmark2011-10-13 18:10

    the big thing with used machines is parts, if you have a final drive go bad your looking at over 5K per side so make sure what your buying has good drives! I would stick with the Cat 120 or the deere or the Komatsu. service is the key to making equipment last , no fluid changes will send a machine to the scrap pile early for sure!