Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Recommendations on first used track loader

delrey ยท 2020-10-31 23:03

Greetings. I am looking for recommendations for a first used track loader. I've been running my small excavation and demolition for just over 6 months and renting equipment is becoming a real hassle. We mostly move aggregates/dirt, grade and load tri-axle dump trucks. I've only used Bobcats from Bobcat rentals and ASV from Home Depot and I really like the ASV for its simplicity. I don't have much space to take care of the unit myself therefore I would need something reliable and that has adequate support, the price for maintenance and parts availability. Based on the research I've done I see a lot of positive responses on CAT products and it looks like they are priced well but I have yet to try one or speak to someone who owns one. Budget is around 30-40k

Replies4
  1. #1KSSS2020-11-01 00:40

    There is nothing simple about ASV's track system. Fine to rent, but you wouldn't want to maintain it, especially in aggregate.

  2. #2Mother Deuce2020-11-01 05:17

    https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/191813939/1978-cat-955l When I read your post I went hunting for a 955... this one is particularly sparkly as a demo machine as it has a a 4 in 1 and tall grousers. It is how we did it in the 70's, 80's and 90's if you were demoing small wood structures we would tip the house over break the debris down and get the machine on top of it as you wrecked the building the machine turning and traveling reduced it to a relatively consistent size that eliminated voids in the trucks. The trucks were not hauling air to the dump. The machine if maintained well is as reliable as a watch. It weighs about 17 tons. Caterpillar parts support is second to none. I know of a couple guy's on here that can fix that machine in their sleep.

  3. #3delrey2020-11-01 15:39

    I think I'm in the market for CTL. We rarely touch debris from a structure with a track loader. Its mostly for dirt and aggregate hauling and grading.

  4. #4PeterG2020-11-05 13:12

    Might depend a lot on what dealers you have around you and what is popular. As a small excavating contractor myself, at one point I did look into ASV. The main reason was you can get smooth treads for it and not tear up residential lawns. The track design also makes them great at climbing. In the end, I agree with KSSS that the undercarriage is lightweight and hard to maintain and there is Fiberglass on the body. We went with a used 2000 hour United Rental Takeuchi TL130 because there are a lot out there. It has a few quirks, but has been a very good machine, and low cost to operate and maintain. We have replaced the tracks and sprockets from Summit supply. We use the machine mostly to lift heavy pallets. We have two buckets and use it to spread gravel and topsoil and pick up concrete. We don't dig with it much, but with the tooth bucket it will dig well. This is a heavy steel no ******** machine. If it wasn't, United Rentals wouldn't have it in their fleet of mini excavators and track loaders. Lastly, it climbs well and does well in the rain and mud out here in Seattle. We don't do quick spin turns, nor do we drive over sharp concrete rubble and rocks. Right before United Rental got rid of this one, the service records say they did major engine work. Paid $18,500 in Oregon. Nice to get it paid off right away. .