Ok, I've got the red idiot light shining in my face. I decided to light up when I was trying to get moving in the cold (around 20F). Tractor started fine, placed it in gear and nothing. No movement. I changed the engine filter and oil, hydraulic filter, air filters and then changed the transmission filter and oil. That's when things started looking ugly. I've emptied the transmission, changed the filter, then removed the strainer. The oil was milky looking and the strainer was nasty with globs of goo over it. I cleaned it and decided to look into the strainer hole to see if there was anything else to be found. naturally there was... I found metal shavings and 3 roller bearings. I don't know what I am up against, but it's not looking good from my amateur point of view. I don't know if the freezing weather worked something loose or if I am up against something worse. I am open to suggestions on what to do next. (1994 JCB 215-2 II)
Pictures of what I have run into idiot light Roller bearings found in the transmission pan
That light is handbrake warning light I'd be checking your electrics for the handbrake switch, most JCBs disconnect the trans when handbrake is applied. That is more than likely the reason why it won't drive As to the tranny, I reckon your up for a rebuild by the looks of that. If you still have the old filter cut it open and have a look a the paper, this will give you an idea of how much metal is floating about in there. For your sake hopefully it hasn't been driven much with that bearing failed, we have seen them at work where the shaft has worn into the housing. I'm surprised it's been driving fine As for the water not sure on your model, but most machines of that vintage have a water-oil cooler in the front near the radiator. I'd be pulling that and getting it pressure tested
I'm not sure if the handbrake switch is the culprit, but I will try bypassing it once to see. I did try pulling the emergency brake lever with the red light getting brighter with it pulled, then dimming back down some when disengaged. Looks like I will be pulling the transmission out from under the beast then. Fortunately I didn't drive it much, but unfortunately I don't know how it was treated prior to me buying it. I've still got the filter and I can bet there will be quite a bit of shavings in it, if I compare it to what I was able to scrape out of the strainer hole. I started shopping for another oil cooler earlier today. I'm going to see if I can find a rebuilt cooler or a good used one before I go looking for someone to rebuild this one. Now to keep this warm weather around for another week and maybe I can get moving with fixing everything...
Best of luck with it With the cooler it may be worth pulling it and just getting it tested, no point getting a new one if the water has come from somewhere else. Unlikely but stranger things have happened. Those trannies are fairly straight forward to rebuild, be interested to see more photos once you have it apart
A FUSE!! I checked the fuses multiple times and FINALLY... Found a fuse completely missing. C-4 on the fuse panel, gear box fuse. I replaced it and can move again. Didn't think I could feel so stupid... but it's fixed! Now to see about the rest of the ailments I found along the way. Thanks for all your help and suggestions! They really do help.
Funny you mentioned that..Had a large Yanmar mower come in the shop on Tuesday, customer said it wouldnt start. I checked battery voltage, ok..turned key, nothing..checked voltage to starter, nothing..Used a remote starter button to try to spin engine just to see if inj. pump was pumping..starter was shorted out internally..installed new starter and turned engine w/ starter button, engine spun over..time to diagnose key switch...Found 2 fuses GONE..1 to the starter and 1 to the glowplugs..problem solved
How'd you go with your tranny?
I finally got the tranny fixed. It needed a new bearing on one of the main shafts. Fortunately the mechanic was able to get the old bearing that had welded itself to the shaft turned off by a good machinist. Everything else was in decent shape. It's back to operating again. I was thrilled when he gave me the bill and it was for $1500. I felt that I got off pretty cheap.