Hi, just hoping for some advice / info please. My hubby is a redseal heavy equipment technician, but he's only worked in the military. He's leaving the army this year and looking to go work up in Fort Mac or somewhere similar (we're in Alberta) . The problem is he recently got diagnosed with sleeping epilepsy (siezures that happen only when he's asleep or falling asleep) and his class 3 is going to be suspended for 3 to 5 years. He will have his class 5 back shortly as his siezure medication is working great, but we're worried he won't be hired due to not being able to test drive ect the vehicles he's working on. Is it possible for him to find work as a heavy equipment technician and just be on "light" duty? Fixing things but not driving? , any info at all is appreciated
Welcome to the HEF! Good to meet you, Willow333. I’m in Merica, but I believe the competency crisis and skilled workforce shortage is a common issue. I think employers are much more accommodating today. Best of luck to you both. We have some great Canadian members on the HEF, who will be along shortly. After their 14 hour work day is done. How about that Berta’ beef? Always Berta’ beef. Three x the omega three’s. S&P the choice for me. Grill at 400, 4 minutes per side, down the hatch.
Class 3 is for driving a dump truck or similar. If he wants to work in the oilsands or on heavy equipment rather than trucks there should be lots of opportunities where he won't need a class 3 or class 1 license. I think employers might be sympathetic if he was a good mechanic and explained why he couldn't have a class 3 or 1 license. I saw on Facebook Sureway Construction in Edmonton is hiring. Might want a class 3 or 1 license but your hubby's got a unique circumstance and they have a lot of shop work. They have a very large fleet and a new state of the art shop. It's about 10 minutes from where I live. One of, if not the biggest contractor in Alberta. I've heard they are a good place to work. They might be worth looking into and a better option where he's not away from home for extended periods. Most working in Ft. Mac will be 2 or 3 weeks straight with 1 or 2 weeks off. Not for everybody.
Thank you both very much! That's great that a class 5 should do the trick! He's never worked civy side so we're just trying to navigate it all. I'll definitely pass all of that on! And @Coaldust haha hard to beat the Berta beef . Have a great day everybody!
He'll have zero issues finding work, especially in The Mac. Heck I'm in your neck of the woods and have never once needed anything above a Class 5. Most shops I've been at the last 15 years I've been the only guy with a commercial license.