Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Reduced Tail Swing/Zero Tail Swing Excavators in the Woods….

1026phr ยท 2014-12-29 20:03

Have decided upon an excavator size for working the woods & doing other projects on our property. Now trying to figure out whether to go with reduced/zero tail swing or a conventional tail excavator. The zero models will overhang the tracks by only 6" or when the upper is swung sideways over the tracks. The conventional will overhang by nearly 3 feet. Part of me says go with the zero swing it will save both trees and the back of the machine from dents & damage. Another part of me says that if it is too tight to turn the machine in the rear, there are likely obstacles to the front as well. So if I take care, take my time and pay attention, I can avoid the damage to the rear. Machine will likely spend at least half of its working time in the woods. Some in clearings, some in cleanup and maintenance of roads/trails. If anyone has experience operating the zero tail swing or reduced radius machines in the woods, would appreciate your perspective.

Replies11
  1. #1Shimmy12014-12-29 20:13

    Hey there, 1026. I'm not sure if the bigger ones are the same, but I know some machines are designed so if you boom up all the way, you can spin 'round and 'round all day long inside the area of the tracks, or at least the same as the tail. Just a thought.

  2. #21026phr2014-12-29 20:16

    Yeh, you can pirouette these machines pretty much within the width of the tracks. But, not sure how practical that will be particularly in the woods & if working. Primary benefit likely in getting in & out of tight places without having to back up. Plus, unless machine is dead nuts flat, I am guessing that a pirouette on any type of grade will make the whole shebang more unstable.

  3. #3maddog2014-12-29 21:46

    I used both, and IMO zero is a bit better.

  4. #4lumberjack2014-12-29 22:08

    The bigger thing may be the increased weight of the zero tail. If I had the choice, I would go zero tail. I've got some friends that log, their Tigercat tracked feller buncher is a zero tail for that very reason.

  5. #5kiwi450x2014-12-30 00:13

    I use a Hitachi EX225USR around our forestry operation and love it. It's not zero tail swing, maybe a foot over the side of the track frame but I can swing around on basically any track I like. I don't have any issues with stability either, it seems to love clambering around steep tracks and terrain. Given the choice, I'd never go back to a conventional tail swing for the work we do.

  6. #6Graham12014-12-30 05:20

    Not sure what size machine you are thinking of, but I have used Cat 312 standard rear end and 314 low/zero rear end a lot. I would choose the low/zero tail every time. I have found no difference in stability but found it a huge advantage to be able to work close to things without the worry of damage. I don't know if you are looking new or second hand, but here, there are a lot of zero tail with dozer blades. So you can get that extra without paying the huge premium you would to have one fitted to a new machine. I'm not a fan of dozing with an excavator, but good to hold you on steep slopes and I have a basket which hangs on the blade to carry spare buckets and other stuff in if the job is a way off from where everything is. Ideal in the woods where you may be traveling miles away. Graham

  7. #71026phr2014-12-30 07:11

    Looking at machines in 12-15 ton range.... Case CX145C SR, JD 135G, Volvo ECR 145D.

  8. #8JGibson2014-12-30 10:28

    All awesome machines, they all have their strong and weak points. Volvo makes an awesome excavator, but they don't last as long. Case makes an amazing excavator (I'm a Link Belt guy so a little biased :usa ). They last forever and are great on fuel. John Deere also makes an awesome excavator, but they aren't as good as the case on fuel, and I don't love the cab as much. I look at it as 50% the Machines (power, reliability, smoothness, comfort, durability etc) and the other 50% is how the dealership is. Every machine breaks so when It does you want a dealer that takes care of you, know their product, and has the parts. I don't know if you have done this but demo the machine, see how you like it, and read up on the dealerships. And if you have a good relationship with a dealership then buy from them, they will take care of you. I personally don't like kubota tractors that much, but when It came time to replace the old John Deere, I bought a Kubota because they are reliable, and i have a great relationship with my dealer (Kahn Tractor, my second grade teachers husband was a salesmen there Lol).

  9. #9uffex2014-12-30 14:34

    Good day 3026ph This may be worth checking out there are a number of videos on Utube http://www.kwrplanthire.co.uk/ Kind regards Uffex

  10. #10Tags2014-12-30 20:06

    I have had a close to zero swing Kobelco 115 for quite a while now, it's setup with a long stick and an extra counterweight, even though the extra weight makes it overhang about 10" or so it is still invaluable to know that I can work in a space 10' wide without touching a thing. If I had to replace it there is no doubt I would get another zero swing machine.

  11. #11ncnswlogger2014-12-31 04:42

    the smaller zero swing tigercat fellerbunchers have the set back boom but not the larger models. The Timbco/Valmet now Komatsu forest models are all zero swing, set back boom design except for the valmet 475. not sure which other manufacturers have the zero swing and set back boom design.