Have a RD 40 screen plant with a TX series Lister 2 cyl having a fuel issue,it's losing prime. Every new day you go to use it ,it starts and runs for 10-15 seconds and stalls. The only way to get it going again is to bleed at what I think are called the delivery pumps. Once you bleed it it will run great all day and you can shut it off and restart during the day no problem, but next day same process. I have changed fuel filters,steel+ rubber line from secondary filter to delivery pumps and fuel pump and haven't fixed it yet. Any ideas where my problem could be? All other lines and fittings look good with no sign of leaks.
I think the only thing in the system to hold line pressure is the "lift pump".. & the tightness of the inj. pumps. Are you saying you replaced it, or you replaced the rubber line UP TO the LP.??
I replaced the fuel pump that has the hand lever on it an I also replaced the fuel line that is part steel and part rubber that goes from the 2nd filter to the engine.
If it runs 15 seconds, the line from the tank to the lift pump is compromised. From lift pump to engine is pressurized when running, and would be leaking obviously. Your issue is in the suction side.
Ok thanks,I will work on that
haybag, Excuse me for butting in here being I have never touched a Lister that was even close to running, there was one hanging under a portable scree the company moved from plat to plant but the time I saw it it looked like it had been jut dug up from some tomb in the Egyptian desert! If I was trying to figure out what the problem is with yours the first thing I would do at this point would be to connect a known good hose from the suction side of the lift pump and stick the other end in a clean can of fuel. If that solves the stalling problem you can spend your time finding where the regular line to the tank is either leaking and sucking air or is pinched and restricting fuel flow. If the line from lift pump to the fuel tank is a hose I would suspect an internal problem in it. Also check for a plugged vent on the fuel tank.
It only runs and quits the 1st start of the day. Once it is bled it runs all day without any trouble. If suction was the problem wouldn't it prevent it from running well at all?
No, it can deal with a little air, it just can't refill that hose in the 15 seconds it has before it runs out of fuel that's in the pump already. Put the tank above the pump, problem solved, until it drains out overnight and won't start...
Agree, could be like the old hand powered well pump. Once you get it primed it will pump water all day unless you stop for enough time for it to drain off the water then you have to re-prime the pump to get it working again.