Hello all! I've started ripping apart the swing post on my '94 JCB 214 backhoe. Its got 4600hrs. The guy I bought it from apparently didn't own a grease gun. I'm posting this not needing help but hopefully this will help someone else down the road. The boom pin and main swing pin were quite loose. I really noticed it when I would try and lift myself up and push away to move the machine, also swinging a loaded bucket would overshoot and spill material. The bottom two pins that connect the swing cylinders to the cast swing body were badly seized. I drilled and tapped a 5/8 bolt in the bottom, put in a tube spacer and "pulled" on the pin from the bottom. I also drill as big of a hole in the top of the pin possible, then crank up the welder and refill the hole I just drilled. It expands the pin then cools and shrinks as the weld cools. I have rescued some extremely seized pins with the welding trick alone. In the past I have use the mag drill and drill as big of a hole as possible then fill with weld. This also works good for getting out old bearing races or seized bushings. The main pin was worn in spots almost 1/16 off the diameter. The top main bushing was worn about .165" and the middle and bottom about .125". I will attach pics of the disassembly and pin removal, I will keep everyone updated on machining new parts and re-assembly. I have ordered shafting material and bronze for the new bushings. Its supposed to come in either tomorrow or Wednesday! Thanks for checking this post out! Ben Almost finished drilling, I stepped up the a 7/8 bit after this. Cover that cylinder rod up during welding! And beating! (yes, that bar is my hammer) Bushings cut out, everything measured and repainted! I've got a couple pics of my new grading bucket, that is maybe another post though...
Not sure how to imbed pictures, I will attach them I guess
I'm going to have to do the same thing to mine. About the same hours. Were you able to lay the boom down and drive out from it, or did you need something to lift it?
I laid the bucket, stick and boom down on the ground as flat as I could, I kept the wide grading bucket on for side to side stability. I used a car jack to lift the boom to take the weight off the pin. Then removed the pin. Then I set it down on heavy saw horses and jackstands to hold the weight until next weekend. The top pin (cylinder) I took out first, just propping the cylinder up on blocks inside the boom. Once she was all unhooked I put wood blocks in front on the front tires about 2 feet away. Then I just grabbed the tire tread on the back tire and rolled the machine forward a inch or so at a time, while kicking a wheel chock forward to keep it from rolling back. I wanted to make sure it would ease away and not catch and tip everything over. I did all this by myself, wasn't that bad either. I did need a small chainfall on the ceiling to take the weight of the cast swing housing and lower it to the ground. If you had two strong friends you wouldn't need it though! Hope that made sense! Ben
Thanks Ben. As soon as the weather breaks I'll attempt to do mine. I believe my swing pins are okay, but the main boom is worn.
Nice, I sure wish I had a grading bucket likes yours, did you make it yourself? Also why was the bucket in your home,...lol,...Just thinking out loud, couldn't those dowel pins be honed smaller and an insert be added to the swing stage for a snug fit of the pin. Look forward to your rebuild.
Yes, I made the grading bucket, It is 42" and about 8" shorter from pin to cutting edge than my digging bucket. Seems to handle it well. I'm glad I didn't go much bigger though, when its full of heavy clay or wet ground it is pretty heavy with the extenda hoe out. The bucket is in the house because I used it to take out the front door! I sawzalled around the door, stuck the bucket in and e-hoe'd back in and the door slipped right out! I think I understand what your saying about the pin, I think that would work but I'm not sure its necessary. These pins have been in there for 20+ years with little grease and the machine sat outside so I'm not surprised they were stuck. If a picture is worth 1000 words, here comes another 5000! Ben
Well, she's done! And I'm glad I did it! If your reading this and your on the fence about doing it, I say definitely do! The bushings in the main swing pin aren't that thick, so if you put the bucket on the ground directly behind you and push up and down. If you have more than about 1/4" of slop on the main pin you are or almost are out of bushings. If it wears through you need to re-bore the cast piece. So it is much easier to do it sooner, rather than later. Here comes the pics: Ben
I did new pins in all the pivot points, the 3 bushings in the main pin, 2 bushings in the boom and 2 bushings where the boom pivots. I added a head with a retaining bolt on the boom pin, I truly hate the JCB snap rings. There is no way to control what piece the pin rotates in. On the boom its not as bad because there are grease fittings on each bushing but the loader frame is a nightmare! I put the bushings in dry ice, they had a .004 or so press fit, when cooled they dropped right in. Also please be aware that the bushings are thin walled and the shoulder they butt up against in the housings is small, So if you pound/push them in to far you will compress the backside and the pin will be tight. Ben
Nice job Ben. What did you use for bushing material? I have to do my swing cylinder bushings on my 1700B. I'm thinking of using C863 bronze. This vendor use it for their JCB bushings https://oilesbearing.en.alibaba.com...manufacturer_bronze_bearing_bush_for_JCB.html