Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Refurbed Seat

SLK001 ยท 2025-04-12 17:18

This post is not about excavators, but is about improving the work environment while using them. My seat for my excavator was in pretty bad shape. Not only is the fabric shot, but the seat mount was also broken. The seat mount was riveted in, so I had to grind the rivets off to get to the mounts, then welded the mounts back together. I then made some new rivets, reassembled the frame and just welded the rivets in place. Thanks to donations from my neighbors (in the form of discarded couches), I was able to "acquire" some furniture fabric in able to redo the seat. Pre: Post: I hope that it lasts quite a while. John Deere replacement cost: $3,747.46 Fixing it yourself using scrounged parts: $0.00 Now I have to horse the thing back into the cab (weight ~ 100 lbs).

Replies6
  1. #1crane operator2025-04-12 17:57

    That came out pretty nice. We're blessed with a good upholstery shop nearby, usually $300 or so for them to add foam and recover a seat. I'm no good with a sewing machine. I've worked on my wife's machines, but she's not got much time for my projects. I should figure out how to use her's, but I just know I'll tear it up, and I would just rather not.

  2. #2SLK0012025-04-12 19:42

    Thanks. $300 would have been a bargain. The problem that I have, is that my machine can't handle the heavy-duty thread that you should use on upholstery, so I just used plain ol' fabric thread. Also, creating patterns was really iffy with as torn up as this seat was. Fortunately, at least one side of each panel was looking adequately intact enough to use as a pattern. Sewing is like welding, only easier. The "welds" are easier to cut and grind down to restart!

  3. #3CThemRollinBCD2025-04-13 02:36

    Great job!

  4. #4CM19952025-04-13 10:35

    Well done. Reminds me I have an air line leak on my 953..

  5. #5Steve Frazier2025-04-13 11:09

    Nice job!!! I did the seats in my first car in a similar manner using upholstery fabric from the fabric store. Funny how lack of funds and determination can fix things sometimes!!

  6. #6samsstuff2025-04-14 08:22

    Somebody sent me one on vevor looked good but might be junk, I put cover over mine too