Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Remote throttle for 2008 Ford F-350 Super Duty

RBMcCloskey ยท 2014-10-31 14:54

Gentlemen, I need to install a remote throttle controller on my 2008 Ford f-350 Super Duty Service Truck, it has a 5.4 V8 with electronic throttle control. I need to control the engine speed to operate a Premier Power Welder. Any suggestions? Thanks, Bob

Replies13
  1. #1nowing752014-10-31 17:34

    Sure you have to do it through the ecm. Have never done it but I'm thinking you would need to talk to your ford dealer.

  2. #2nowing752014-10-31 17:42

    https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/apcm_manual.pdf

  3. #3DARO2014-10-31 18:00

    There is a control box by inpower that uses the ecm

  4. #4animalv2015-03-14 13:18

    Not sure bout the gas pots but diesel in ford Ty into the seic wires down by e brake there is pot wires there as well ford has a chart you can look up witch resistor u need for certain rpm or buy a potentiometer bd diesel sells one as well go to ford fleet and it has all the info and pass through wire locations etc

  5. #5RBMcCloskey2015-03-14 17:57

    I found one, it is made by: Off-Road Engineering Foothill Ranch, CA 92610 949-581-2991 For 2005 and NEWER Ford F250-550 Super Duty Trucks

  6. #6Scrub Puller2015-03-14 19:24

    Yair . . . So (without being nasty) could someone give me a real world application for this 25 pages of electronic wizardry. More importantly can you honestly say you understand it, can trouble shoot and configure it and convey that understanding to a new hand who has to use it. In addition are you certain that the system will be trouble free and work for thirty years or so? Cheers.

  7. #7RBMcCloskey2015-03-14 22:14

    I bought a frequency welder that replaces the existing alternator with one made by them. The welding current is controlled by the engine throttle. I installed it in my 2008 Ford f350 service truck which has a electronic throttle. This device allows me to increase the engine speed as need, work great. http://premierpowerwelder.com/

  8. #8lantraxco2015-03-14 23:59

    Scrub, I'm with you, give me a throttle cable, vernier adjust, with the big button to hit to snap it back to idle!

  9. #9Scrub Puller2015-03-15 01:34

    Yair . . . RBMcloskey Those little welder/generators are a handy package for emergency repairs and are very popular for RVers who venture off the beaten track Something similar has been available here for many years (that's code for 'not made in China') but they are subject to failure if worked too long and hard . . . the US built ones may be better. lantraxco. For many years I ran a welder off the PTO of a Landy. They had a nice hand throttle on a toothy quadrant on the dash and for a quick tack up you could just slip it into gear and set appropriate revs. If doing a fair dinkum welding job I had a belt drive governor running off (I think) an extra groove in the generator pulley . . . it was easy to get to, just slip on the belt, slip of the accelerator linkage and fit the governor linkage to the carb=constant governed output as far as I know it is still going on its second engine. Cheers.

  10. #10RBMcCloskey2015-03-15 06:18

    I agree that a cable is the best way to go, unfortunately the 2008 F350 has a electronic throttle, nothing to attach the cable to. I have used these welders for 30 years and they are a great emergency repair welder and will charge a 4D battery from "deader than Elvis" to a full charge in 15 minutes, great for jump starts, and produces 120v DC current. They have a very stable arc and "whistle" when you weld, they do a very respectable job of welding. I agree with you that for big repairs and rebuilding, a diesel or gas machine is much better and faster. Check out the link I listed, http://premierpowerwelder.com/

  11. #11old-iron-habit2015-03-15 11:58

    Code: I would love to put a hand throttle on my 2000 F550 with the 7.3 Powerstroke to control the PTO speed but there is no where to connect it. It is all fly by wire.

  12. #12Scrub Puller2015-03-15 12:09

    Yair . . . Gotcha fellers, I completely understand. I have a Mazda BT50 that uses the same system . . . a lot of the "improvements" on modern machinery are only of advantage to the manufacturer. Cheers.

  13. #13Dualie2015-03-15 21:45

    lol i have one truck that i use a stick between the seat and the throttle. hillbilly as heck but works