Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Remove air filter housing on L190

Grit ยท 2014-11-28 19:13

This is embarrassing, but I can't remove my air filter housing on my New Holland L190. I have tried everything to get it off and cannot seem to do it. It should be very easy to do, but it WILL NOT unlock out of its position no matter what I do. I have removed the yellow tab that is inserted at the top of the housing that locks it in place, but it only moves maybe 1/8 inch or less. The manual says to turn it to the 11:00 position. No go. I mean, how hard can it be? VERY HARD! I just looked at the manual again and it looks like the lip on the tab faces in the downward position. When I got the machine, the tab was facing UP and was very hard to get out and back in. Now I know why! It looks like having it in the wrong position might have messed it up somehow to where it will no longer move out of its locked position. Any ideas?

Replies4
  1. #1tmc_312014-11-29 10:30

    Hey Grit, sorry, not much help here. That filter box is kind of a pain even when it's working right. If that yellow tab was installed upside down it could have damaged something. You may have to force the lid off then replace the filter box. I'll look at mine a little later today and see if i can offer a better suggestion. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!! Tim

  2. #2KSSS2014-11-29 11:19

    I have the same housing on my machines. Sometimes it is necessary to take a punch or large screw driver with a hammer and give it a tap to drive it in the unlock position. You should not have had to remove the yellow tab.

  3. #3Grit2014-11-29 11:50

    Thanks a bunch guys. I really hated asking a question like this cause it seems to be so easy, but sometimes easy projects turn out to be hard projects. I will try tapping on it to get it to move. Thanks again. I don't know what I would do without this place.

  4. #4Grit2014-11-29 18:09

    I got it. I tapped it with a small hammer along the side where the yellow tab is inserted. Worked like a champ. Thanks, KSSS! The bad news is, I think my dealer left out a part for the filters. They both came with a washer, but I have no idea where they go. Anyway, I blew off the new ones and just cleaned the old ones that were in there. I used the air compressor and got them fairly clean. BTW, the ones I cleaned seemed to be of better quality. They are NAPA brand.