Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Remove and Replace 555E Fuel Injector Pump

Scott1958 · 2024-12-04 16:15

Well as promised, I am asking for knowledge again Guys. I found the weep hole in the fuel injection pump is leaking pretty bad now. So I know I need to remove it to have it repaired. My question is. Number 1, can I just remove the injector pump and then replace it exactly as it was when removed without setting TDC or anything like that? I am lazy and frankly not exactly how to find TDC on a Diesel but also know that the last thing I want to find out is that has to be done after I have already pulled this thing down. I know nothing about this thing, pictures below. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys.

Replies21
  1. #1Tinkerer2024-12-04 16:36

    Thepumpguy will give you the best advice possible. This may or may not be part of the procedure.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2024-12-04 17:29

    If YOU are replacing the seals, yes, u can lock the pump, pop off the front gear.. change the seals & put it back on..(easier said than done) If u are familiar with the guys at ur local inj pump shop, u can tell them that u didn’t time the pump/ engine and not to unlock the pump..& to change the front seals ONLY..

  3. #3Joe H2024-12-04 18:07

    Or you could ask pumpguy how to time it BEFORE you take it off and them send it to him to be done /RIGHT the first time. Joe H

  4. #4reganj2024-12-04 20:50

    I second what Joe H has said!!!

  5. #5Scott19582024-12-04 22:23

    Well I am guessing this thing is a DP203 from the service guide. I am not really sure what exactly is in need of repair, just know that the weep hole is leaking pretty bad. Not a stream but a very rapid drip. I am not familiar with anyone here in Oklahoma. I moved to Oklahoma 3 years ago and purchased my first Backhoe 5 years ago (this one). Have no idea right now where to take it to. I was guessing that if I am going to take it off might as well have it gone through complete. I am just not sure what to do for sure. I have looked at the service guide and am about as confused as before I read it. But am guessing from what your saying, if I plan to have the pump completely rebuilt I should set the time on the engine before pulling the pump? If I want to have the pump completely rebuilt what do I need to do to set the engine before pulling the pump?

  6. #6Joe H2024-12-04 22:37

    Ask pumpguy, Mike will take care of you. USPS priority mail it to him and it comes back new. Joe H

  7. #7thepumpguysc2024-12-04 22:37

    If ur going all the way thru the pump, it DEFINITELY NEEDS TO BE TIMED FIRST.. because when it comes back from the rebuilder the pump will be locked at the correct timing with an offset built in.. The reason it’s leaking from the weep hole is because the front seal/seals have failed..

  8. #8thepumpguysc2024-12-04 22:44

    I take it u haven’t put a wrench on it.?? Get the machine somewhere it can sit without being disturbed. Go around to the front of the pump and remove the radiator hose and anything that will be in the way of that plate in front of the pump.. Remove the plate and post a picture of the drive gear.

  9. #9Scott19582024-12-04 23:13

    Not yet, didn't want to start pulling stuff apart till I kind of knew the needs on timing and such. Would you be willing to rebuild or seal it if I sent it to you? Probably be a couple days, going to back it back out of the shop and pressure wash it a little better. Am in hopes that I can get to it by pulling the hoses and the fan shroud. Really not wanting to pull the radiator unless there is no other way. As soon as I get the inspection plate pulled I will try to get a good pic of the timing gear and get it on here. Thanks for your help Mike, Joe, Tinkerer and reganj.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2024-12-04 23:22

    Cleaning the engine bay is always a good idea BUT.. whatever you do, DO NOT LEAVE THE ENGINE RUNNING.!! the abrupt temperature change will cause the pump to seize.. & that’s big bucks.. Check your prvt msgs..

  11. #11Joe H2024-12-04 23:52

    the abrupt temperature change will cause the pump to seize Never heard that before, is that true of all pumps ? Wonder how many have done that and wondered *** happened ? Joe H

  12. #12thepumpguysc2024-12-05 00:27

    It only happens on rotary pumps.. the STANADYNE/ROOSAMASTER PUMPS & the LUCAS CAV/DELPHI PUMPS.. NOT on any online pumps.. I’ve seen it happen hundreds of times..

  13. #13Joe H2024-12-05 05:37

    Learned something new again. Joe H

  14. #14Tinkerer2024-12-05 09:35

    When you ship it to thepumpguy, drain all the fluids out of it the best you can and then put it in a super heavy plastic bag to prevent any leakage in transit. I sent mine through UPS.

  15. #15Scott19582024-12-05 14:15

    Thanks Tinkerer, I will be sure to do that. Hopefully will be sending it to him first part of next week if everything goes well.

  16. #16Vetech632024-12-05 14:57

    If I ever send anything to TPG, I'm shoving it right in the middle of a full 5-gallon grease bucket. That way I don't have to worry about it rusting in transit.

  17. #17thepumpguysc2024-12-05 18:49

    Lol.. u prick..

  18. #18Scott19582025-02-15 18:50

    Well got the injection pump put back on and the old gal is running again. Was time consuming to tear down and then put back together but other than learning how to prime the fuel system after reinstall of the pump it wasn't really all that bad. About 8 hours to pull everything down including exhaust, air intake, hood etc and then about 5 hours for the reinstall and crank up (I have learned with old age to just slow down and take my time, it's better than rushing and screwing **** up!). My thanks to thepumpguysc for his rebuild of my pump and guidance with my many questions as well as all you other guys for your helping me with this project. Thanks so much everyone.

  19. #19reganj2025-02-15 20:36

    thepumpguysc for the WIN and mighty decent of you to follow up with how good things worked out.

  20. #20Scott19582025-02-23 12:11

    Yes, it was a good decision to use him! Couldn't have expected a better re builder or person. He is a really good person to have put up with all my questions and to help me the way he did. I would tell anyone needing a pump rebuild to get with him.

  21. #21thepumpguysc2025-02-23 14:31

    You’re welcome Scott.. The word must be out.. I’ve got a tractor in the yard.. 1 more coming and 4 pumps are in the mail heading my way.. Busy, busy..