Hello. Its been a while. Digging up stumps, blew out the left swing cylinder seal. Does anyone have any warnings or tricks for me when I try to remove the swing cylinder? I cannot find any exploded-view diagrams that show how this all goes together (or comes apart). Photo of the cylinders: There is a cross-beam that goes over top both cylinders. The beam is bolted on each side (end) with two ~3/4" bolts that all spin freely. The beam also looks like it might have the upper pin as part of the beam, because the zerk fitting looks like it screws into the beam, not into a separate pin. here goes......
No need to remove the whole cylinder if it is just a seal leaking. Swing the boom as far as you can so you can get the pin out and unscrew the gland. Leave the barrel on the machine.
Like Tinker said & if your having trouble pulling the gland out you can hook the back hose up and use the hydraulics real gently to push it out.
I helped my neighbor with his b and we did just like tinkerer said worked out good..........
Then what? Hello Tinkerer. I have taken the cross beam off the swing cylinders, but if I don't need to go down this road any farther, what do you mean by get the pin out and unscrew the gland (see attached). I have not disassembled one of these before, and don't know the terminology that well. Thanks. JBP
The pin that attaches the cylinder rod to the boom. Also look for a small screw that may be in the joint where the gland and barrel meet. Case quite often installed them to prevent the gland from unscrewing from the barrel. It is a little screw, maybe 1/8" in diameter. Here is a typical swing cylinder for a #35 backhoe. You can find the on-line parts book here -----> http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr51685ar1108291 And here is a complete decscription of your machine here ---------> http://www.tractordata.com/industrial-tractors/000/1/0/103-**-case-580b.html
Do you have a hook spanner wrench? You might need one. Or a really big pipe wrench. But whatever you do, protect the rod! I cut a pice off a foam floor mat and taped it around the rod.
Here's a stabilizer cylinder but same principal.
Here's a few more pics. that may help. http://s108.photobucket.com/user/Bill_053/library/Hydraulic cylinder packing
Now that's a spanner wrench!
I'm gonna steal that magnet idea
jbp................heres a pic of the pin partially out of my ck i think yours has a little different setup holding your pin in than the ck i think your pins are held in by removing 1 or 2 bolts and a piece of flatstock but this give you a idea....... In your second pic yes that is the gland nut but what you are calling the pin is actually the cylinder rod the pin is what attaches the cylinder rod to the boom like Tinkerer said.......... After you remove the pin and unscrew the gland nut form the cylinder itself you pull the rod and the gland nut out of the cylinder and the cylinder will stay on the backhoe when you get the rod and gland out of the cylinder you will see the piston attached to the other end of the rod ....it will come out with the rod.....
Blaming on the previous administration
Yea ya gotta love somebody elses artwork on these old things ......I think on the b like yours there was a piece of flatstock on the bottom of the boom (bottom of the pins) that had 1 or 2 bolts that held the pins in place and it seems like the pins are notched for the flatstock to fit into them and then the flatstock bolts to the bottom of the boom you might look to see if the previous owner broke those bolts off and try to dig them out then you could go back to original with out the welds
Xpack, that's the part I did not understand; the flatstock was on the bottom, solidly bolted in place. Now the other pin wasn't welded so the flatstock did its job for that pin, so I don't get the welding. Fortunately the welding was not very deep. I do have to do a bit of grinding to get rid of all the stress risers I put in the boom swing pin hole. pick up the cylinder tomorrow. JBP
JBP...........If theres no reason to weld that pin then i wouldnt weld it back in either ......My ck had a few creative ways of fixing things from the previous owner as well but threw time you can get it back to where it needs to be so there isnt a lot of cobbling done on it .........