Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Removing boom on Cat 941

Grason ยท 2013-11-05 11:18

I have a Cat 941 and the bushings for the tilt links and bucket are shot/gone. We are acquiring another 941 with a good bushings all around. We are going to swap the boom and I was looking at the pins, they have threaded holes where the grease fittings are. My question is, does anyone know what size bolt would fit that hole? and do I need a special puller to remove those pins? any help would be great. Thanks Grason Here is the best picture I have at the moment. I can get some close up shots if need be.

Replies11
  1. #1tctractors2013-11-05 16:00

    If you look at my Thread Using a bit of Muscal you will see me stripping out a frame or 2 on CAT shovels, the thread is ANF and a hollow ram helps some, if you needed the exact size use a vernier measure or ask and I will tell you, after the bucket is removed crib up the frame of the rad top area to remove the pins easily.

  2. #2Grason2013-11-06 10:45

    I saw your pics, hopefully I can make a puller of some sort to yank them out. My only other task is trying to determine what size bolt I need to fit inside the pin.

  3. #3RayF2013-11-07 00:09

    You often find Cat use UNS threads in those pulling holes. Makes it a little harder when you just need to grab a spare UNF bolt

  4. #4TOM V2013-11-07 07:05

    You will need a 1 1/4-12 rod to pull those pins.

  5. #5Grason2013-11-07 07:22

    Roger, I appreciate the info guys.

  6. #6tctractors2013-11-07 13:38

    You might also need an 1" x 14 ANF rod to pull a few plus if they are stuck a 50 ton cylinder to stuff into them.

  7. #7Grason2013-11-26 13:35

    I made some good progress this past Saturday and thought id share some more pictures.

  8. #8Grason2013-11-26 13:37

    ...

  9. #9Grason2013-11-26 13:39

    ...

  10. #10Hughie2013-11-26 18:18

    Thats a handy set of tracks on that donor machine... She looks asthough she has earnt her keep.

  11. #11Grason2013-11-27 07:48

    Yeah, she certainly did.