Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Removing case 450 brake cover

Ed howell ยท 2017-02-25 17:40

HI ALL , NEBIE here to site , have read everything on site about working on the case 450 (1978 )brakes . Setting in the cab the left brake ,I cannot pull the cover out . It appears the high , low shift lever must be pulled . Any experience is greatly appreciated . Tx. Ed

Replies9
  1. #1Operator41002017-02-26 06:58

    Hey Ed, I cant help you there never had mine off, bought this dozer about 4years ago its hard to get anything done when I'm on the road all the time, I looked in the book and it says to remove the transmission, OH HECK NO ! Keep us informed DW

  2. #2Ed howell2017-02-26 09:33

    Several have posted here about this job being performed on their machines but none have mentioned this issue of actually removing the cover once the 3 bolts have been removed . My manual has a step by step but it also makes no mention of this issue. I must be missing something here ....

  3. #3Operator41002017-02-26 12:12

    yes I've read on here the guys saying it was a tight fit, is the linkage in the way ? One day I'll be asking you about how to do this haha

  4. #4Ed howell2017-02-26 14:14

    I am a maple syrup producer and we are constantly doing timber work to benefit the hard maples . We have very steep terrain and the brakes are nessary for the safety aspect of the work. Not interested in being in a roll over .I am Toolmaker by trade and have spent my entire life designing and building machinery . I really like this dozer but this particulat repair is a turning into a real pistol ....

  5. #5alrman2017-02-26 22:20

    @Ed howell I haven't done this job on a straight 450 for a long, long time. I do recall it not being an easy task, the process of how exactly it was carried out, has faded away. In saying this, I cannot believe the job requires the transmission removal. You need to make as much space as possible for the brake cover to move forward - till it hits the crossmember. Two speed linkages & maybe the pivot/bell crank itself, any hoses/plumbing etc, will need to be removed. IT is highly likely the housing may exit from under the machine, rather than through the floor plate.

  6. #6Ed howell2017-02-27 09:44

    Tx Alrman , I will disassemble the hi / low shifter today ....

  7. #7Ed howell2017-03-03 20:03

    Not sur to be proud or embarrassed, 5 days to get that left housing ut of the machine . I had to machine up 3 custom pulling devices to get the hi low shifter out . All the shafts were seized tight and heat or hammer would not remove the pins or linkage . Looks like all we need is the front brake disk . 30 hrs to make the 3 pulling devices.

  8. #8Ed howell2017-03-03 20:20
  9. #9alrman2017-03-04 00:46

    Oh that just looks like you had a ball of fun there Ed! How are your ribs? - Glad you got the better of it !