Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Removing Caterpillar D7 17a turbo

JohnCapko ยท 2023-10-21 20:45

Hello!, I need a bit of help with the D7 17a dozer I just bought. The turbo is damaged and I am in the process of removing it to hopefully get it rebuilt, but the piping coming from the air cleaner has me baffled. It looks like its just pushed in with no bolts, but it will not come apart. I have attached a picture showing the piping. Hopefully someone with experience on these pipes can help. Thjank you in advance.

Replies5
  1. #1Dave Neubert2023-10-21 21:04

    They are held in by a big o ring you will have to pull really hard use a bar or comealong

  2. #2Simon C2023-10-21 21:56

    Shoot a little oil in around the whole circumference to help it slide out. You can tighten a vise grip chain wrench on the pipe an inch or so from the entrance to the receiver and use a heel bar to pry on the receiver to the visegrip. once it moves 1/4 inch outwards it will come way easier. Simon C

  3. #3OzDozer2023-10-21 22:00

    Yep, squirt in some lube/release agent, the big o-rings get really stuck to the metal. Lots of wriggling and prying and twisting called for.

  4. #4JohnCapko2023-10-22 07:41

    Thank you!

  5. #556wrench2023-10-22 10:28

    The worst ones I encountered shredded the o-rings as it came apart.