Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Removing rad. cap

Welder Dave · 2023-11-12 22:55

Hoping someone has ran into this before. I had to climb up on the hood of the grader to be able to push down hard enough to get the rad. cap off to check the coolant. Put it back on but it wasn't aligned the same. Have the 1st stage loose but can't get it off. I tightened it up where it is but want to be able to get it off in the future. Is there a trick to removing them? It needed a really good push and was hard to turn even with the handle when I finally got it off.

Replies6
  1. #1BluewaterLa2023-11-12 23:36

    Cant say that I've had that issue though I am curious to what others have to say and any tips provided.

  2. #2Welder Dave2023-11-13 01:51

    It is kind of bizarre. I put it on and realized it wasn't orientated the same way but when I turned it back I couldn't get it off.

  3. #3DB22023-11-13 20:57

    They’re very finicky.

  4. #4Welder Dave2023-11-13 21:12

    It's nice to know it's not just me. It's one of those things that can have you really scratching your head.

  5. #5HarleyHappy2023-11-14 08:22

    Especially if one of the tabs go under the steep part first. I have ruined a radiator cap or two.

  6. #656wrench2023-11-14 09:56

    I’m more worried about damaging the filler neck