Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

removing stuck pin on stabilizer cylinder

Kauaiman · 2018-03-10 19:02

looking for some ideas on how to remove stuck pin on my case 580 stabilizer hydraulic cylinder. i need to replace the seals . I got the gland nut to unscrew with no problem, but cannot get the lower pin to move at all. should i just heat it up til i get some movement? any help would be appreciated.

Replies10
  1. #1The Learner2018-03-10 20:11

    Does the pin have a grease nipple? If it does grease it or remove the nipple and put a mechanical oil (wd40) Hit it 3-4 times one way Grease/oil Clean with wire wheel/ brush or emery cloth Hit the opposite way 3-4 times Repeat Then work it one way and the other till it moves one way easier But remember don’t mushroom the end you’ll never get it out If it is already mushroomed hit it as far as it will go then tidy up with a grinder on both ends until it’s small enough to escape

  2. #2Ronsii2018-03-10 20:37

    To add to what Learner said... do NOT hit the pin directly with a hammer, always use a punch/rod in between the hammer and pin.

  3. #3Bls repair2018-03-10 21:19

    Replies to same problem in dozers.

  4. #4xgiovannix122018-03-10 21:19

    bigger hammer maybe some heat ?

  5. #5td25c2018-03-10 22:03

    Leave the stuck pin in place & rebuild the cylinder on the machine . Pull the cylinder barrel off the rod to replace seals & o - rings . Think backwards ... HeavyEquipmentForums No different then an " in frame " overhaul on an engine .

  6. #6Tinkerer2018-03-10 23:47

    If you don't want to use td25c's method (which is a good one), put a long hacksaw blade in a reciprocating saw and cut through the pin on both sides of the rod eye. Then you can put the rod in a press. The pin may not be seized in the rod. If it seized in both sides of the stabilizer you will have an easy job of burning or driving the pieces out. If you choose to burn the pieces out, drill a small hole through them so you won't destroy your cutting torch tip. I have done that many times with pins and seized bolts.

  7. #7rickw2018-03-11 09:55

    I just had the same problem on my 580 SL. There is a generous amount of room between the rod eye and the yolk. I put a metal cut off blade on my Stihl 14" cut off saw and cut the pin. Mine was stuck on side facing the front of the machine. I cut it there and pulled the rest of the pin out and pulled cylinder. Then I found a piece of solid 1" bar in the barn and put it thru the yolk on the fresh cut end of the pin. This helps keep rod in place. I held it and my brother hit it with a larger sledge and we had it out in 10 min. New pin has a grease zirk in the end to lube this joint. Pin will cut with sawzall also. It does not seem to hard. But Shihl saw cut it with no effort in 20 seconds!

  8. #8Tinkerer2018-03-11 11:55

    Thanks for mentioning the cutoff saw rick. I didn't even think about a using a gas powered cutoff saw. I haven't had to cut any pins in the above discussed situation since I purchased my Stihl TS 420 about four years ago. They are awesome saws.

  9. #9rickw2018-03-11 13:35

    Same saw that i have. Plenty of room to cut without damaging rod eye or chrome on rod. Only problem i had was sparks caught my Carhartts on fire!

  10. #10Kauaiman2018-03-12 00:26

    thanks for all the suggestions. I will try some heat first and it that doesn't work, cut the pin. Thanks again.!