Can this be done on the main boom cylinders in-situ just pulling the rod out? Reason being that i cant get it to a shop and cant see how i can push out the bottom pins due to all the steel in the way...cab etc... With the main cylinder casing on the machine it would mean no vice and heavy lifting to brace the thing. Excavator is a Kobelco SK120 Anyone have any tips on this job? Ive never touched one before. Thanks
Yes I have seen them done leaving the barrel on the machine. At least for Cat equipment. Personally have not done it but don’t see how it would be different than any other ordinary cylinder. The guys I’ve seen do it just get it pretty level and support the barrel on a jack stand
Good day Please see attached may be helpful, our experience found that repairing one cylinder is not so good policy. Kind regards Uffex
Typically, I have used heavy lumber that spans across the tracks. That gives you a place to support the barrels. Please be careful, make sure your crane can support the weight of the rod/piston assembly. I would extract the rod nearly all the way out. Support and reposition so that you have a choke sling at either end. Use a spreader if needed. This makes it less likely to tip up one end to the other. Another thing often neglected, bleed the circuit after assembly. Trapped air causes dieseling, and that will undo all your hard work. No quicker way to destroy piston packing. Good luck, be safe
That's pretty much how we do it . Get the cylinder loose from the boom then lay it down on cribbing on top of the track . Run the rod out to the end , bust the gland nut loose & yank it . HeavyEquipmentForums
Any idea how much a cylinder of this size weighs? I don't have a crane so was planning to set up a rope pulley system either off the shed roof truss or using the boom as a pivot/brace to lower down off.
Just eye ballin on Machinery trader I would guess 300 pounds per cylinder . https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...vators/manufacturer/kobelco/model-group/sk120 Your method with a good helper should work fine . We used a chain hoist to lower the cylinder to the wood cribbing . Me & the Old Man was able to manhandle the rod & piston assembly . He's still a pretty tough old bird LOL!
That size cylinder isn’t bad. Piston and polish rod will be right at what one man wants. Just do it before lunch so there’s no accidents lol. Get yourself a little chain hoist so you have control of the up and down. I have a little 1/4 ton I use all the time. A half ton will work fine. That way you can stop at any point in the up or down and it will hold. Should be $100 or less. You’ll be amazed at the uses you find for it!
Only thing we have going for us is the chain hoist's caint talk . LOL ! Pretty handy cost effective items to keep around for lifting tasks .
Duct tape and baling wire have nothing on some lever chain hoists. One of my favorite tools of all time
The sign of a guy who's been stuck in the middle of nowhere, with nothing, and had to get it done.
Ain’t that the truth!
The chain hoist is a good idea, thanks, need any means possible to save my back. Me old man dove into a shallow dam one night full of wallop and squashed his spine so now he just drinks beer and coaches me though these farm tasks. It's hard sometimes working with just one pair of hands so I'm so happy to find this forum and some great advice from you folks. Would anyone have advice on where to source the seals? I'm going to give Kobelco Aus a call see what the genuine ones cost.
Yair Lagwagon , OK …… One thing that I have noticed in life is you are always your fathers son . Don't matter what age or higher learning . Pretty funny how it works . My Old Man still asks me if I checked the oil level on a piece of equipment before operating . I reply by asking him "Did you check the refrigerator if it's full of barley soda & Skoal tobacco " ? Feller has to get his priorities strait before undertaking a project !
Piston nut torque is 1400 ft lb or 190 kgf-m. 150to 160 ft lb on cap screws or 21to 22 kgf-m that is on SK120LC-V
If your 120 is of different dash number .post and I will get you the specs .