Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Repaing wobbling wheel on planetry final drive

Jon Heron ยท 2013-01-15 19:16

Hello all, I am new to these parts, and heavy equipment! I am looking at buying this 1988 Carelift zoomboom for moving around totes of fuel (I make biodiesel) and the odd chunk of old iron, etc. The problem is that the right rear wheel is wobbling as if the lug nuts where loose, which they aren't which leads me to think that the bearings are shot. What say ye with some experience with this stuff? Are parts readily available? I see carelift was bought out by Linimar and they are one of my customers but trying to talk to someone there who knows anything or has any time seems futile... I wonder if this is a generic style hub or proprietary or what... Here are some pics for clarification: In this shot you can see the tilt to the right rear wheel: Here is a shot of the inside of the wheel, you can see the gap around what appears to be the break drum. Here is the outside: Before I make an offer on the machine I would like to know what I am in for with this. The machine will be sitting in m y yard till spring so I have time to figure out what it needs. Is there anyway to check if the gears are shot by just removing the plate with the multiple bolts on the outside of the hub? Or do I have to remove the wheel first? What do you think one of those wheels weighs? I am not sure if they are loaded like a tractor tire or what, I just need to know how to handle it when I remove it... :bash Any and all insight or advice would be appreciated! Cheers, Jon

Replies5
  1. #1Mike L2013-01-16 05:21

    are the bearings shot or is the wheel bent? I couldn't see the pics

  2. #2Jon Heron2013-01-16 07:28

    Hmmm, Strange you cant see the pics... They are are all here too http://www.theherons.ca/downloads/pics/forklift/ I am thinking the bearings and likely the gears are shot, the axle is not bent but the wheel wobbles. As was pointed out to me from at another forum, the wheel in question has less ware on it which could be an indicator that there is no power going to the wheel. I am thinking I will take off the plate with the 16 bolts on the outside of the hub and see what I can see... Cheers, Jon

  3. #3hookedondiesel2013-02-22 06:57

    I know this is an old post but, my guess would be a broken axle.

  4. #4oarwhat2013-02-22 07:29

    I'd say it's bearings. Have you driven it? The other problem could be spindle damage from the bad bearings. Spindles can be repaired and bearings are easy to replace.

  5. #5oldtom2013-06-22 07:48

    Jon see that you removed the planatary cover should of been filled with oil that grease is in the because of damaged inerseal leaking, are the wheel bearings us ? ps more photos please