Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

repairing 621 driveshaft tube

mudober ยท 2011-05-31 12:03

Well I been thinking about this for awhile. I have a leak about a two gallon a-day or so around the front driveshaft tube on the transmission. Does anyone here know how hard it would be to remove the universel yoke off the shaft then replace the seal at the transmission? Do you think it would be worth the time?

Replies3
  1. #13rdGenDslWrench2011-05-31 23:38

    621A or 621B? Some of the early 621Bs still had the rubber insulated drive coupler that connected the retarder to the trans drive shaft. Later models had the one piece long drive shaft. If its the later style it could just be loose clamps or a bad hose. The rubber insulated drive coupler could be a few different things....the bearings for each hub could be bad causing the seal to leak. The rubbers inside the drive coupler could be bad causing it to run off center. Or worse case scenario your rear engine mounts could be bad and every time you torque the engine under a load its not keeping the drive coupler in a straight line. Just a few things to check for. If its just the seal it isnt really a hard job at all. The biggest P I T A is getting the coupler unbolted.

  2. #2mudober2011-06-01 09:41

    Ok this is a1968, has a short drive shaft about 12" with a universal joint on each end between the transfer gear case and tranny. So I would have to undo both of them remove short driveshaft. then remove a jam nut on the tranny yoke pull the yoke off then use a small slide hammer to remove the seal and then install a new one. If this is somewhat correct I am also conserned if I can get the yoke off without a puller cause I don't have one that big. Thanks

  3. #3Willis Bushogin2011-06-01 11:13

    Sounds like 3rdGenDslWrench know this piece of equipment and I dont. I can say, from what you describe, it sounds just like replacing the tranny seal in the back of a dump truck. I can talk about this, because I just changed another one last week in one of, my dump trucks. The biggest headache for me was just getting the drive shaft out, I only took one end loose, from the yoke. Make sure your Ujoints are not bad/loose. I just took a 3/4 drive impact and removed the yoke nut and the yoke just slid off (make sure before you take the nut off, that you shake the yoke and make sure its not loose on the splines) I dont think you will have a problem removing the yoke, but if I did, I would try to rig a come-a-long to it some way to pull on it, but alot of pressure may not be good on the internal parts. With the yoke off make sure you dont have a groove cut in the yoke, from the old seal, if so install a wear ring, they cost about $15 and are easy to install. Pull the seal, get the number off and go back with everything. I would put Locktite on the threads of the yoke nut and make sure you tighten it good. Always look for a cause of the problem, but Im thinking a machine that old, the seal just is worn out Keep us posted Good Luck