I found a hot deal on a service truck that I may end up purchasing. My only qualm with it is there's some big patches of missing paint on a few of the doors. Anybody have any experience with these? Think I could just find some decent automotive paint, buff it down with ol mr. die grinder and hit it? I'm no paint and body guy, just a rattle can wizard lol
Make sure the body is not rusted where you can see it. Depends how old it is seams like the old body's rust because of the way they are put together. If it's missing that much paint I would reprint the entire body to make it look decent. Just ember prep is everything.
I've seen service boxes made with a galvanize or other plate finish and the primer didn't adhere, ends up looking like it's got leprosy or something. Feather the paint edges, rough the surface up with scotchbrite or fine sandpaper, then I would use a self etching primer before topcoating the whole thing, but that's just my way of thinking.
I'm looking at used bodies for my F550 right now... With the money I have available, I'm expecting to do a little work to it... From my limited knowledge of paint and body, what I can tell you is, don't scrimp on prep time or quality of paints... makes a huge difference. Also, I'll be bed linering the front face, rear face and tops of each side... they seem to take quite the beating. My idea being bed liner will add that little more protection.
If you guys want a road trip http://albany.craigslist.org/hvo/5311778593.html
Not sure someone from Alberta will want to drive to Albany NY to look at a truck!
Trying to match old paint is frivolous. The shine or color never works out. Do the whole thing and definitely use an etch primer. We need pictures
save yourself some trouble & future issues & have it wet blasted then put a self etching primer on it then top it off with a good QUALITY paint. its going to look like a dalmation if you just try to fix the spots.. its worth the extra expense to fix it now than to fight it for years!! trust me I thought the same thing on a truck I had in the early 90s that looked like the paint was blowing off it. its easier to just take it down to metal then start over then it is to try to patch/match the paint several times.
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/5287782690.html this is the truck in question.
Yup, had one that looked just like that thirty years ago, nothing changes. Probably a phone company rig originally, cheap fleet rigs, can't say for sure of course. $15K doesn't seem like a screaming deal to me for a SRW one ton with an automatic, just sayin'.
lantraxco, I was basing this off the low mileage and including the compressor and welder. Thinking maybe I should offer 13. what do you think it's worth
I like that term.... I have sandblasted for friends and they say "Just do a quicky job" And it ends up looking like a "speckeled trout"...then they bitch and moan when you blow right thru as well "you hit it too hard"....the paint was the only structure.
Hit 'em at $12,500, maybe they'll dicker. Damn prices of new ones keep skyrocketing, I can't even afford a ten year old one.