Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replace brake seals on a 235

Jerry Kirtlan ยท 2023-08-14 16:16

I'm in the process of replacing the brake seals on my Cat 235 . I can not get the snap ring out that holds the piston from coming out of the head. it looks like it needs to be compressed about 1/16 in to release the ring but it will not compress. Any help appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2023-08-14 16:32

    Here's the procedure for disassembling the travel motor. You're going to need tooling (spring compressor) to put weight on the brakes in order to get the snap ring out.

  2. #2Jerry Kirtlan2023-08-14 17:26

    I've tried to compress it but afraid to put any more pressure on it

  3. #3Jerry Kirtlan2023-08-14 17:39

    I can compress the piston in and compress the springs but the head travels with it. If I press the piston against the head it doesn't take any pressure off of the snap ring.

  4. #4Jerry Kirtlan2023-08-14 21:44

    got it aart,