Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replace fuel pick up line

bob6104 ยท 2009-02-11 22:29

The part is finally in and this weekend I hope to install the fuel pick up line on my 753. I have ordered the service manual but it will take three weeks to arrive. Can anyone guide me a little on this job? Do you access the fuel tank by lifting the cab or ?

Replies12
  1. #1willie592009-02-12 20:59

    Forgive my curiosity; but your asking how to access the fuel tank, and your going to replace the fuel pick up line in the tank. How did you come to the conclusion the pick up line is bad?

  2. #2bobcatmechanic2009-02-12 22:46

    lift the cab by taking off the 2 1/2 nuts in the front corners of the cab on the inside then simply lift up if you put the lift arms in the air it will be easier make sure i mean make sure you put the boom stop in no one wants to see blood and guts coming out of both ends because some one was lazy stupid or just thought they would be under there for a few minutes the lift arms will creep down. the boom stop is that orange thing that rattles on the r/s of the machine now how to get to the pick up line raise the cab and it should either be infront of behind or right under neath the hydrostat i think its right in front and takes about 2 minutes to put in you can check to make sure you get the right line by pulling on the squeeze ball and see which line is tight under the cab when you go back around use a prybar pop the rubber gromet out and pull the line out vasaline the new line and gromet and put the tube in push the gromet in and then push the 90 fitting in and you done prime it and off you go

  3. #3AtlasRob2009-02-13 07:31

    It was your idea :lmao:lmao

  4. #4special tool2009-02-13 07:36

    :roll

  5. #5bob61042009-02-13 11:28

    Who Me?! I can only hope that replacing the pick up line will be half the fun as reading the previous posts... Many thanks to bobcatmechanic for the description of how to go about this as well as the blood and guts caution. I'll let you know if this solves the problem. I was able to get the bobcat off the access road by filling the tank to the brim and bleeding the air. I'm guessing that without the pick up line it is able to suck up a small amount of fuel if there is no air in the tank. Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about...:beatsme

  6. #6willie592009-02-13 19:49

    Heck, I've slept since then! Man that's funny as heck. :bouncegri Actually, I didn't take note of the name and thought I was looking at a new post and new question. Oh well, still a good laugh.

  7. #7AtlasRob2009-02-14 06:53

    It was one of those strange quirks of fate that a light bulb came on in my head that something similar had cropped up very recently. I think it stuck in my head as a good response to the problem and not something I was aware of. :drinkup

  8. #8special tool2009-02-14 07:19

    Naaah.... I ain't buying it. Your stalking him, aren't you?

  9. #9AtlasRob2009-02-14 08:11

    Ok ...I admit it, ..................I really like his ..................avatar :drinkup

  10. #10willie592009-02-14 16:59

    Still a good laugh, and a shot of Scotch after a few beers can make you do some strange things! :drinkup

  11. #11bob61042009-02-14 19:39

    You were right! Many thanks to ATCOEQUEP for correctly diagnosing the fuel pick up line problem and to bobcatmechanic for the great directions on how to replace it. My wife and I drove the hour and a half to the nearest Bobcat dealer (between storms) for the parts and made the repair in the driving snow. It went exactly as you predicted and I'm inside getting warm after moving 14" of snow off the road. My wife called me "her hero" but I told her I couldn't take the credit I think I'll celebrate with a scotch...:notworthy

  12. #12willie592009-02-14 21:06

    Ahhh, it's good to see all went well and your rolling once again. Plus, you've learned something about your Bobcat. I shall have a shot with you. :drinkup