Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replacing 96 416B front axle

Cjalbert ยท 2025-04-17 08:37

Hi yall, I need to replace my front axle, I have some info for replacement but want to make sure before I drive 10 hrs to get it that it will work. What specifically should I be looking for? I have taken pictures of my axle stamp plate and asked for what I am buying but they dont match identically and I am not sure I will ever find one that will match perfectly. The first pic is my axle that I need to replace. The second is the only axle that I could find? If anyone has a lead on where I might find the right one I would welcome that also! Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance, Chris

Replies4
  1. #1alrman2025-04-21 19:11

    The Ratio is important. These two dont match. If the ratio is not correct, the transmission will load up & put strain on components. If the mismatch is bad enough, things could/will break..... gears, axles, gearbox shafts, driveshafts......

  2. #2pittsburgh cat man2025-04-21 19:34

    You might want to check with a cat dealer I seem to remember a ratio change in the first ones because they were winding up

  3. #3Nige2025-04-21 20:04

    The Serial Number of your machine might help tracking down any relevant information.

  4. #4Cjalbert2025-10-22 13:14

    Hi all I finally found a direct match, thanks for your reply's - Sorry about the lack of info -I assumed it was in my avatar. Thanks again!