Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replacing a starter

Brandon_M ยท 2017-09-26 17:22

I'm in need of replacing the starter on my Dozer. It's a 1991 dresser TD8G with cummins 4bt. Was wondering if a starter for a 6bt would fit. There's so many part #'s when I google it gets confusing. I know it's 12v 10tooth

Replies7
  1. #1Delmer2017-09-26 17:57

    Probably, but you don't know what's in the way on the 4, or Dresser, that's not in the way on a 6. If it was mine, I'd get it rebuilt if at all possible, or replace it with OEM. Not where I like to trust a cheap starter.

  2. #2DMiller2017-09-26 19:29

    Check the starter model, the most you will have to match is voltage, number of teeth on Bendix and motor size. Might want to check this: https://www.dbelectrical.com/produc...-starter-cummins-4bt-3-9-24-volt-140-919.html

  3. #3Brandon_M2017-09-26 20:27

    Well, I ran the #'s on the starter & they came back to a John Deere engine not even a cummins part # at all. So I'm assuming years ago someone used a Deere starter with a cummins nose cone. That's why I'm confused so much. I've found a couple different ones but not sure of which one I need. Does this starter need to be oil sealed? What exactly is that? I know I need 12v 10 tooth clockwise

  4. #4DMiller2017-09-27 07:25

    Starters don't really care what engine they are on so long as Bendix tooth count and mounting pattern are same. Most bell housings are designed for a common starter mount so all the need is for Bendix swaps.

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2017-09-30 14:16

    Is your starter a two bolt mount or a three bolt mount, that's usually the only problem you have on these 3.9 and 5.9 engines. Get the serial number off the engine and call Cummins dealer they should be able to help. But also some of these engines were labeled Komatsu and may not be in cummins system.

  6. #6Brandon_M2017-09-30 18:04

    It's a 3 bolt mount. I've got a new 1 that hopefully will work, haven't had a chance to fool with due to death in the family.

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2017-10-01 15:01

    I'm sorry for your loss. I hope starter works out for you.If you have any more questions just let me know.