Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replacing boom-stick pin

ktm250rider ยท 2010-09-23 08:22

Id like to replace the boom to stick pin on my Hyundai 130. Its got a bit of play and I like to replace it before it gets too bad even thoug its just a homeowner machine. The cylinder pins would not be removed. Is there a certain position to put the boom and stick at to be able to just "slide" the old pin out and new one in? The play seems to be side to side, could shims be used to take up the space rather than a new pin? I havent looked at it too much yet, just noticed it last night just before dark.

Replies5
  1. #1cps2010-09-23 10:47

    Yea most likely you ll get away with just shims for the side to side play!

  2. #2Zed2010-09-27 01:55

    I agree it sounds like you just need to shim it. If you have wear in the pin, then your bushes would be worn too and to just replace the pin would be a WOFTAM. Get your measurements for the shims you need, Internal and external diameter and get some made, or make them yourself if you can. Shimming is alot easier than replacing pins and bushes. It also helps keeping grease in and dirt out.

  3. #3dingo2010-09-29 15:49

    i have done it before with the stick at 90 deg to the boom, bucket on the ground. knock the pin through enough to slide your shims in the knock the pin back in. do thr same for the other side. it easy if you can have someone in the cab for any fine movements you may need..

  4. #4Hanomag2010-09-29 16:23

    If the wear is just side to side shims will work, but, you need hardened shims, mild steel shims will not last for a day. Suggest you contact your local CAT dealer, CAT have a range of hardened shims in different diameters ( inside and outer) and various thicknesses. The shims used to be detailed in 'ONE SAFE SOURCE' nowadays I guess the details on a CD Regards

  5. #5Willis Bushogin2010-09-29 20:23

    boom pin I agree with the harden shims, if you were going to use it regularly in construction, but I would find out what size the pin is? probrably 2", buy some regular flat washers and cut them in half, install the halves around the pin and weld them back together. I have just got by with just welding the sides/ends. If there is alot of play, cut shims out of flat bar (example, if the total side play is 1"+, cut two shims out of 1/2" flat bar, cut these in half like the washers and install and weld the ends/sides) I have never replaced the pin in a 130, but some models you can remove the seat and drive the old pin out, with the new pin. I have also worked days trying to get the old pin out. In most cases, this is a job for someone that has done this before (replacing the pin) Goodluck