Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replacing oil seals by the brakes on a Case 580c

csthompson12 ยท 2012-02-29 11:22

Hello, I finally got to replacing the brakes on my 580c. The brakes assemblies on both sides were completely shot (brakes surfaces gone). So I got two complete new assemblies. I noticed that on both sides there is oil seepage from the rear differential shafts by both brakes. So it looks like I should replace the oil seals before I put the new brakes on. Has anyone done this job before? Is it just one seal one each side? any Advice? Thank you

Replies11
  1. #1tregurtha2012-02-29 16:05

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiNyAk_wRL0 dont know of this wacky vid helps

  2. #2csthompson122012-03-01 22:31

    Thanks for the link. I got the new seals ordered. I also noticed that the side gears have a little play to them. I am thining about removing some of the shims on the bearing carriers. I thought I read somewhere to only remove them from one side? I should try to loacte a manual.

  3. #3ghitch752012-03-14 17:52

    yes replace all the seals....get every seal in there.....watch when you put it together that you don't roll the lip on the seals.....don't ask me how i know:Banghead

  4. #4caseau2012-10-17 04:53

    good afternoon/morning all I have a list of things to do on my newly purchased 480D including the brakes. I am trying to source these seals, does anyone have the dimensions of them?, Local Case are asking $122 each. part no is A179054

  5. #5Tinkerer2012-10-17 06:00

    CNH is outrageous on oil and grease seal prices as you have found out. I paid $85.00 US for a front wheel bearing seal. Never again because I remembered a supplier named Motion Industries. They have stores all over the U.S. and Canada. If they don't have what you need they can get it for you within a couple of days. Here is a web link. http://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/index.html

  6. #6syndy2012-10-17 20:58

    I have the same oil seal in my 580SE and I just replaced the right one. The seal is 3.5" OD and for a 2.5" ID shaft. It's about .5" thick. I bought mine from http://www.e-backhoeparts.com/ (aka Tractorstuff) Email Dale at [email protected] I paid $11.00 each for mine. I also made a tool for putting them in straight because it is hard to see in there. I will post a photo of the tool and how I made it asap but now am doing father-in-law hospital sitting tonight and tomorrow. Getting the old seal out was not as I had expected. I bought a bunch of seal extractors at Harbor Freight and ground them to what I thought would fit. (Hoe is in NC and I'm in FL). They did not work so I took a sharp punch and hit one side of the seal distorting it so it almost fell out. Put gasket seal around the outside of the new seal and tapped it in with my tool and it took all of five minutes.

  7. #7caseau2012-10-17 22:04

    thanks Tinkerer and syndy. The local Bearing Company here in South Australia only stocks a 3.5" OD by 2.5" by 3/8", could it be 3/8 thick"? otherwise I will be in touch with one of your tractor suppliers. Also I will need to recond. one of the slave cylinders on top of the housing (drips hydraulic oil into the housing & brakes), not sure if this is a common problem with these?

  8. #8syndy2012-10-18 08:26

    I have a spare new one in front of me and it measures exactly .5" thick. It has a double lip on the seal area. I will take a photo of it later today as well as the tool for installing it.

  9. #9packratc2012-10-18 12:55

    Don't know if this is the same as my 580ck but I did the brakes and seals on it. There's a pretty comprehensive discussion about it with pictures on this site. I put electricians tape over the shafts as I slid the seals on so they sharp edges of the splines don't cut your seal. Photo is in the discussion. If your going to work on the end play for the shafts, I think the manual says to do one side at a time. I think the shafts are what I would call "self-centering" and changing one affects the other. Seems like someone on this forum said you're in for a time if you take them both down at the same time. The best tool I've got for my machine is the factory manual. Kinda' pricey but worth if it's an older hoe & you do all your own work. I think you can find the link to the brake repair I did by searching for my "name" which is packratc. Good Luck. Packratc

  10. #10packratc2012-10-18 13:00

    The site for my brake job is under "Roughest 580ck is a leakin'. " Packratc

  11. #11syndy2012-10-19 20:10

    Here is a photo of the seal you are looking for. In my 580SE the splined shaft you have to slide the seal over is smaller in diameter than where the seal ends up on it further down so protecting the seal is not really a problem. I just put a little oil on it and slipped it on. Nothing sharp to cut the seal. I will get a photo of the tool for pressing (tapping) the seal in straight asap, still doing hospital sitting for my FIL.