Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replacing rear axel seals

Carolina start up · 2024-02-22 15:59

So I’m looking for a used skid steer to go with the excavator and I found a used bobcat 763 for a decent price but says needs rear axel seals and a few other things. So my question is how hard is it to replace those and is there anything else to look for on those skid steers

Replies6
  1. #1crewchief8882024-02-23 20:03

    if the axle bearings are still good, you can remove the hub, pry the seal out and install a new seal. bobcat has a "special" seal driver the set the seal at the proper depth. however most of the time theres a reason the seals are bad, and that being the bearings are worn out/loose. still over all it's not that bad of a job to do, remove the inner bolt and sprocket from inside the chaincase, and pull the axle, replace the bearings and races

  2. #2Carolina start up2024-02-24 13:42

    Alright it’s one of them things where I have a tractor with a loader and I don’t need a skid steer so I’m not wanting to spend 30k or more for one more if I’d like to find something under 15k that can be used with the excavator. This one is priced at 7500 so that’s why I was wondering if at the price will this be something simple or am I gonna wanna set the thing on fire and toast marshmallows over it because it was a pain

  3. #3crewchief8882024-02-24 16:06

    if you plan on paying a dealer to do the work resealing the rear axles, it probably wouldnt be worth the money outlay from you. JMHO working at a dealer ive seen more than one repair bill cost more than the machine is worth, but people still do it.

  4. #4Carolina start up2024-02-24 16:19

    Was gonna do it at the house and pull up some YouTube videos

  5. #5crewchief8882024-02-24 16:36

    ultimately its up to you if it's worth the time/effort and parts cost

  6. #6Carolina start up2024-02-24 17:13

    Well I’ll go check it out they did say other minor issues to so see what else is wrong with it but I’ve been finding plenty for sell. Lot of John Deere 250 skid steers or bobcat 190s even found a ct332 Deere with 11k hours for sell for 25k