Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replacing Sprockets on Cat 941B All Torn Apart, Whats Next?

mmulisha84 ยท 2014-10-02 15:00

Currently replacing the tracks and sprockets on my 941B, Ive gotten the rails, and all off, but I am now at a stand still because I dont know how to get the sprocket off beyond where I am at now... Is there some sort of puller I need to do this?

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2014-10-02 16:04

    Send a pm to tctractors. He's on of the forum experts on these "chariots" as he calls them .............. I'd guess you need the big cylinder and the 3 legs to get that sprocket off. You could also look on Tony's thread entitled "Caterpillar Sprocket Removal", it might give you a few ideas .............

  2. #2Bob/Ont2014-10-02 16:25

    Yes get proper instructions as the sprocket is pressed onto the hub not the dead shaft. Force must be applied to the spokes and the hub, not the dead shaft or the bull gear will break through the final drive case when you pull it. The complete sprocket tool group is needed here. Later Bob

  3. #3mmulisha842014-10-02 16:38

    Thanks guys PM sent to him... Im starting to think I might just weld on rims instead of pulling the whole sprocket... Atleast with it this far torn down should be easy to get the rims pretty true to the spokes

  4. #4Nige2014-10-02 18:54

    TBH I'm not sure you can weld a sprocket rim on to a spoked hub like that. I thought it was only the solid sprockets you could do that on.

  5. #5Bob/Ont2014-10-02 18:57

    Yes you can, just cut and tack back on true. Then weld up strong. Be sure to put ground clamp on spoke. Later Bob

  6. #6Scrub Puller2014-10-02 19:29

    Yair . . . Last picture . . . is that top vertical spoke cracked and sprung? Cheers.

  7. #7Nige2014-10-02 21:03

    Good spot Scrub. Certainly looks like it.

  8. #8tctractors2014-10-03 02:12

    mm, as the above have said you need a bit of tooling and a bit of knowledge on the sprocket popping task, so if they are not leaking or giving any trouble just cut the sprocket rings off and weld on the new rims, firstly repair your snapped spoke, placing the earth clamp only on the sprocket otherwise you will destroy your roller bearings oh and turn off the master switch, your cribbing by the way is total pants so get the beast setup true and off the ground some as the higher the back is the easier the rim swap will be,when I re-rim a sprocket I have a scribing caliper to mark my cutting line, you also need to measure the width of the existing rim and the distance from a set point on the frame, then do a bit of pen and paper work to come up with the measurement from the main frame that things need to be, the weld on rims have a front and back side to them so get your head sorted on this point, I usualy weld a thin rod off the loader frame to use as a true guide to check against again watch the earth lead always keep it on the thing you are welding to, then its just a matter of tacking things in place spinning the rim to set things true, then get things welded up with a thought to even up the heat effect. tctractors

  9. #9mmulisha842014-10-03 09:16

    Yea, I figured since the company I got the whole u/c from gave me the whole sprockets I would just swap them out, but on the other hand I already have 1 new rim, so I think I will just pick another rim up... Welding? I have been welding for several years, but mostly MIG and TIG as ARC has become a lost art... What do you recommend? I have a 220v MIG and a big 220v ARC as well... If ARC is the way to go, whats rods would you recommend? Thanks again... This forum has been super helpful...

  10. #10Nige2014-10-03 10:12

    For welding consumable & procedure recommendations the first place I'd be asking is whoever supplied the sprocket rim............

  11. #11mmulisha842014-10-03 10:14

    The new rim I have came with the machine when I got it.