I am tackling the replacement of the dozer blade control cable for a 2008 takeuchi tb153fr. I have a parts manual and workshop manual that shows the cable connection to the hydraulic control valve. I have disconnected the cable in the cab but can't trace it to the connection under the control valve. Has anyone have experience with replacing the cable? In looks like I have to disconnect every hose on the control valve to access under it where the linkage hooks up.
Sounds like fun.
Thanks Heymccall, the last picture fills in one of the questions I had which was where the end of the control cable was secured under the control valve. Unfortunately it also would seem to mean that I do have to remove all the hoses to move them out of the way so I can get access from above. Fun indeed. Seems like a really awkward place they chose to place these components.
I don't have my TB53 nearby, but, I have to wonder if hydraulic tank removal would allow more access?
I had started looking to see if I could get side access but removing the tank looked like no small task. Removing the cab gives the best access but not practical either for field work. LOL, I do like the last parts manual picture showing the control valve out in the open. Replacing a control cable shouldn't be a days long task. Going to break out the endoscope next to get a better look of the layout under the valve. Maybe I'm missing something. I'll share photos as I go along.
Removing the cab? Does it not tilt for access?
Lol, I wasn't seriously considering removing the cab. But with it tilted forward you can only work straight down and the hoses prevent access under the control valve from the top. The only way you could ever have the view in the last picture and direct frontal access is with the cab off. The cable seems to routes through the bulkhead at the base of the compartment so to reach it I'm working upside down laying across the engine to get to the cable and under the control valve. I'm sure the experienced mechanics here are laughing at my naivety that an engineer would have made a control cable more accessible. I will share photos as I go along.
Well it took 2 weeks to order in the cable. Disconnecting the cable in the cab was easy with relatively easy access. Had to be careful disconnecting the switches and display cluster give the aging of the plastic. The connection at the control valve was a nightmare to be honest. Took approximately 8 hrs to replace it. First the only real access to the control valve is from the top laying across the engine cowl. With the cab forward there is about 24 inches to squirm in over the control valve. Working one handed upside down was a first. Took some experimenting but I eventually did have to remove most of the hoses to get access to the underside of the valve. Note: have a good method to track the hoses as I had to maneuver them around many times. Also, I found that the control valve was a mirror image of the photo showing the layout of the blocks. After removing the hoses I the found that the relief valve attachment at the front of the block completely blocked access to the the pin connecting the cable to the control valve. After removing the relief valve access was relatively straight forward. Of course removing the relief valve from the bottom of the block resulted in a steady dripping of oil as you struggle to work on the connecting pin. I was lucky removing the lock pin and connecting pin but I would recommend you be ready with a replacement given how ackward it is to work on it. Took many tries to realign the control cable connector to the valve and reconnect the pin. Another struggle as well securing the control cable in the saddle. After that it was a straight forward hose reconnection and reattached the cable to the dozer blade lever in the cab. Dozer blade works like a charm. Not a job I would recommend to anyone but doable if I can do it. Might sell the excavator as is if the cable breaks again lol. Attaching some real life photos to go with the diagrams posted above.